Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-pair Apple watch after iPhone reset

After a recent visit to the Apple Store, my iPhone had to be reset.

The iPhone was already paired with my Apple Watch, but the iPhone reset was performed without unpairing from the Apple Watch first.

So, after the iPhone was up and running again the task was: re-pair iPhone with the Apple Watch.

The problem that 3 Apple savvy people weren't able to figure out: how do you initiate the pairing process on the Apple Watch?

All the iPhone asked for was to tap on the "i" icon on the Apple Watch... but how to get to that screen on the Apple Watch?

Thoughts?

Watch Sport 42mm, iOS 8.3, null

Posted on Jun 13, 2015 5:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2015 11:22 AM

As Jackie's watch is locked and cannot be unlocked by unlocking the iPhone, Jackie will need to follow the instructions in my reply in order to reset the watch.

24 replies

Oct 28, 2015 11:14 AM in response to jackielichwell16

Hi Jackie

Connect your watch to its charging cable - with power connected.

Press and hold the side button until you see the Power Off slider.

Force Press (ie more firmly than usual) on Power Off and then tap on Erase all content and settings.

Then re-pair it using the Watch app on your iPhone, choosing to restore your watch from backup if the option is offered.

Oct 28, 2015 11:10 AM in response to GermanXpress

butchluna,

i think i may be experiencing the same problem as you and have scoured the web and the community for assistance.

previously, my iphone and watch were paired, had no problems. a couple of weeks ago, i stopped using the watch (have been having a hard time "adopting" it). in the meantime, my iphone got wiped and had to restore it from factory settings (it was terrible and my fault). now, i'm back to trying to use the watch. when i open the watch app on my phone, i'm stuck on the pairing screen (can't reset from the app nor can i delete the app). on the watch itself, i keep getting the message "device locked unlock iphone to start using apple watch". I can of course unlock my iphone, but it doesn't help me - watch doesn't unlock and the app is stuck in pairing mode.

on a side note, i do have a letter/number passcode on my phone due to company policy...not sure if that affects anything.

does anyone have info on how to resolve this ASAP? would like to start using my watch again (or at least try!)

Oct 28, 2015 11:17 AM in response to Jonathan UK

Jackie :

I kept on trying to pair again but it only took me as far as saying that the pairing was unsuccessful and that I should try again. so I got desperate and took the extreme per an advice I got somewhere on this thread. I went to settings>general>reset and chose to "erase all contents and settings" and just start up again (this is after backing up my iphone first on the desktop). after the total reset, I went ahead to "restore" from a backup and did the pairing again. IT WORKED finally but I had to go through the entire hassle of having to download all the apps again. but all my other settings remained intact. now im back to life.

Re-pair Apple watch after iPhone reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.