Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop constant requests for iCloud login password on iMac

Each time I restart my iMac, a dialogue box appears requesting my iCloud login password. It does not matter whether I cancel the request or insert my password, the request appears the second time. After I cancel the second request, I no longer receive another request until I restart my iMac again.

I am up to date with OS X, Safari, Mail, iTunes, etc.

Mac OS X (10.3.8)

Posted on Jun 13, 2015 7:27 PM

9 replies

Jun 14, 2015 8:53 AM in response to MontecitoMac

Please take these steps to resynchronize the iCloud keychain. Your keychain on iCloud and your other Apple devices won't be affected. Take Step 2 only if Step 1 doesn't solve the problem.

Step 1

Back up all data.

Open the iCloud preference pane and uncheck the Keychain box. You'll be prompted to delete the local iCloud keychain. Confirm—the data will remain on the servers. Then re-check the box. Follow one of the procedures described in this support article to set up iCloud Keychain on an additional device. Test.

Step 2

If you still have problems, uncheck the Keychain box again and continue.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/Keychains

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

A folder named "Keychains" should open. Inside it is a subfolder with a long name similar to (but not the same as) this:

421DE5CA-D745-3AC1-91B0-CE5FC0ABA128

The above is only an example; yours will have a different name of the same general form. Drag the subfolder (not the Keychains folder) to the Trash and empty.

Restart the computer and re-enable iCloud Keychain.

Jun 14, 2015 11:31 AM in response to Linc Davis

I followed step 1 to no avail. I then followed step 2 as instructed. I unchecked Keychain in the System Preferences,copied & pasted the Library/Keychain phase in the Finder > Go to Folder window. After the Keychain folder opened, I dragged the subfolder, with the long title, into the trash and attempted to empty the trash. However, an alert appeared which said "The operation can’t be completed because the item “keychain-2.db” is in use.". I quit Keychain and tried again. But it would not let me trash. I can not open the trash as I get an alert "You can’t open the Trash because it’s being emptied".

What to do ? Thanks for your patience.

Jun 14, 2015 3:02 PM in response to Linc Davis

The dialogue prompt for iCloud Password shows up on my 21.5 inch iMac display soon after a restart. It is about 2 X 4 inches. The following is a text description of the dialogue:

a blue cloud iCloud Password

on top left Please enter your password for

myitunesid@mac

Password

(a blank box to fill in my password)

Cancel Log in

(Note: I typed myitunesid@mac above instead of my actual Apple ID)

No matter whether I type in my actual id or just xxxxx’s or if I hit Cancel or Log in, the dialogue returns for the second time. After I either click on the cancel or the Log in or type anything in the blank box, the prompt goes away until I restart again.

PS: I really appreciate your perseverance.

How do I stop constant requests for iCloud login password on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.