Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm trying to rip a CD to iTunes and am getting an error message that I don't have privleges to make changes to the songs. Suggestions on how to fix?

There is a similar question on the forum but the links don't work anymore, can anyone help?

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 13, 2015 9:11 PM

4 replies

Jun 13, 2015 9:25 PM in response to keyigor

What is the exact error message? It says you cannot change the songs? Have you ripped this before? Do you keep you tracks on a different drive or have any other issues with saving items in iTunes? If you were having permissions problems with your directory it would create more problems than with just ripping.

Aug 20, 2016 12:12 AM in response to MANVERS30

This may be old news, but I just resolved the same issue.

I went into iTunes preferences and checked the iTunes Media Folder Location. It was blank. I had to reselect it. (In my case, it was on an external drive.) Not exactly sure how that happened, and I'd just imported a disc an hour earlier, but it resolved my issue.

I also found this resolution on another post about the same error: "Check permissions on your iTunes Music Folder. Navigate to it through Finder, Get Info and make sure permissions are set to read and write. Then click the Gear symbol and Apply to All Enclosed Folders."

Good luck!

I'm trying to rip a CD to iTunes and am getting an error message that I don't have privleges to make changes to the songs. Suggestions on how to fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.