Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G5 (10.8.5) - no sound

Hello people,

First I have to say that I'm newbie with Macs.

I just bought a iMac G5 for a $15. Everything is OK but the sound. I read a few forums. There was written to set the sound to 44100Hz, but it's set like this. The other suggestion was to make 3 restarts with P+R+Cmd+Opt. I did it. No result.

I thing that there is a kext missing because the previous owner says that he bought the iMac without OS. The optical drive can play only Single Layer discs (due to a problem of the drive), so that's why he found a copy of 10.5 but very optimised. There are some drivers for printers deleted and other stuff.

The audio system is working, because there is a startup sound.

The only available Audio Output is "Digital Out". Is that normal?

Any ideas how to solve the problem?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), null

Posted on Jun 14, 2015 4:46 AM

3 replies

Jun 16, 2015 5:06 PM in response to IMfield

The iMac G5 won't run 10.8.5, but will run 10.5.8. Big difference.

It is ok for the only audio out to be digital as the headphone port is a mini-Toslink connector which serves dual function as an RCA minijack, and a digital Toslink connector.

The PRAM battery likely needs replacing. Do not confuse the iMac G5 for the iMac Intel. The early Intels look identical on the outside except for the video port to the late iMac G5s.

iMac G5 (10.8.5) - no sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.