Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blu-ray not bring properly from Compressor

Hello Everyone. I have an issue, and I'm hoping someone on here may be of help. I am trying to burn a Blu-Ray disc, and the final results are atrocious.

I am using a Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 running 10.10.3. I have the latest version of FCPX, and compressor. My footage is Apple Pro Res 422 HQ shot at 29.97 fps. My project is 1 hour and 30 minutes long. I have a Pioneer BDR-XD05S external burner, and I have Ridata 25 GB BD-R blu-Ray discs that I am burning onto. First, I did a direct burn from FCPX to a Blu-Ray, and the results played back on a Blu-Ray player were terrible. The picture was full of pixels and artifacts. After a little on-line research, I figured I would buy compressor, and play around with the bitrate levels. I tried clicking Muti-pass, playing around with the anti-aliasing levels, but every disc at the end of the day looks just like the one before it. The Default movie that I shared to my hard drive (180 gigs), looks absolutely pristine on playback in the Quicktime player on my computer screen. I'm not an IT guy, and I have difficulty understanding a lot of the technical jargon, but if someone knows what this could be, and could explain it to me in simple terms, I would be very greatful. I can't imagine I am the only person this has ever happened to. Thank for any advice.

Compressor, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 14, 2015 7:29 AM

4 replies

Jun 22, 2015 7:27 AM in response to Johnathan V.

Thanks Ben & Russ for the responses. After some investigation, I found it to be 2 major things. My Insignia Blu-Ray player just didn't play the Blu-Ray back as well as my Samsung Blu-Ray Player. Also, the settings on my HDTV were WAY off (The TV is 10 years old as well). After playing back in my Samsung player, & making adjustments to the TV setting, the picture didn't look nearly as bad. Intact, it looked really good through an Epson projector. So it really just came down to the player. On a side note, I feel I wasted money on Compressor, but was told that clicking the Multi-Pass option will slightly improve the final product. Does this sound correct? Thanks again for your responses guys.

Jun 22, 2015 7:44 AM in response to Johnathan V.

Johnathan V. wrote:

On a side note, I feel I wasted money on Compressor, but was told that clicking the Multi-Pass option will slightly improve the final product. Does this sound correct? Thanks again for your responses guys.

Compressor can do a lot more things than encode/burn Blu Ray disks. In general, it gives you more control over adjustments that affect quality and file size tradeoffs than FCP does. This can be particularly important when compressing for web content, or scaling down video, or fitting long duration content on to a disk. So I wouldn't be so quick to conclude it was a waste.

As to multi-pass improving quality, I would say the answer is, it depends. It depends on the kind of content. If there is a lot of action, maybe. If it is an interview, probably not.

Russ

Blu-ray not bring properly from Compressor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.