Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

kernel panic problems

Okay, ever since i got a Kernel panic, my computer has been slow. The loading mouse (rainbow thing) occurs just when browsing the internet all the time. Itunes lacks, and the computer just super slow. I've also had two applications Origin and Adobe quit unexpectedly all the time so they can't be used. Which means i cannot update to the latest flash player and can't use flash at all.

Is there anyway I can see if the kernel panic has done this?

Or how do I fix this - especially the unexpected quits! I really need to use flash player and Origin - since my games are all played through Origin!!

Please help!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Jun 14, 2015 6:43 AM

11 replies

Jun 14, 2015 7:33 AM in response to juliaeag

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

In the Console window, select

DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION System Diagnostic Reports

(not Diagnostic and Usage Messages) from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

There is a disclosure triangle to the left of the list item. If the triangle is pointing to the right, click it so that it points down. You'll see a list of reports. A panic report has a name that begins with "Kernel" and ends in ".panic". Select the most recent one. The contents of the report will appear on the right. Use copy and paste to post the entire contents—the text, not a screenshot.

If you don't see any reports listed, but you know there was a panic, you may have chosen Diagnostic and Usage Messages from the log list. Choose DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION instead.

In the interest of privacy, I suggest that, before posting, you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if it’s present (it may not be.)

Please don’t post other kinds of diagnostic report.

I know the report is long, maybe several hundred lines. Please post all of it anyway.

When you post the report, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Jun 14, 2015 11:20 AM in response to Linc Davis

I've done as following, I cannot locate the kernel panic log. I think it's because it happened a few months back while I was on vacation. I didn't realise, as stupid as it may be, that anything was wrong with my mac until i started using it when I returned.

It happened in mid-to late april.

Is there anyway of locating older logs?

Jun 14, 2015 11:41 AM in response to juliaeag

When you see a beachball cursor or the slowness is especially bad, note the exact time: hour, minute, second.

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Scroll back to the time you noted above.

Select the messages entered from then until the end of the episode, or until they start to repeat, whichever comes first.

Copy the messages to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of it useless for solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Jun 15, 2015 3:30 AM in response to Linc Davis

Okay, so these are the following messages that appeared.

15/06/15 12:23:28,638 ReportCrash[909]: Saved crash report for ksfetch[908] version ??? to /Users/juliagoertz/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ksfetch_2015-06-15-122328_Jul ias-MacBook-Pro.crash

15/06/15 12:23:47,000 kernel[0]: CoreStorageGroup::completeIORequest - error 0xe00002ca detected for LVG "Macintosh HD" (61C1D131-1CC5-4EA1-AF13-2DEAA0D02049), pv 77DEF1FE-14FA-46CD-B37B-535C38E0F594, near LV byte offset = 131013865472.

15/06/15 12:23:47,000 kernel[0]: disk1: I/O error.

There were many more, but I didn't know how many to include.

Jun 15, 2015 5:56 AM in response to juliaeag

The startup drive is failing, or there is some other internal hardware fault.

Back up all data on the drive immediately if you don't already have a current backup. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Sep 5, 2015 9:04 AM in response to juliaeag

I just started having a similar problem. Here is the latest console log:

9/5/15 8:49:57.000 AM kernel[0]: BUG in process suhelperd[201]: over-released legacy external boost assertions (1 total, 1 external, 0 legacy-external)

9/5/15 8:49:57.000 AM kernel[0]: BUG in process suhelperd[201]: over-released legacy external boost assertions (1 total, 1 external, 0 legacy-external)

9/5/15 8:50:06.000 AM kernel[0]: process Bible Study[243] thread 2137 caught burning CPU! It used more than 50% CPU (Actual recent usage: 85%) over 180 seconds. thread lifetime cpu usage 91.160890 seconds, (31.632741 user, 59.528149 system) ledger info: balance: 90007289711 credit: 90010801039 debit: 3511328 limit: 90000000000 (50%) period: 180000000000 time since last refill (ns): 105867583227

9/5/15 8:50:23.000 AM kernel[0]: Sandbox: QuickLookSatelli(403) deny mach-lookup com.apple.nsurlstorage-cache

9/5/15 8:50:23.000 AM kernel[0]: Sandbox: QuickLookSatelli(403) deny file-issue-extension /Users/michaeldriskill/Library/Caches/com.apple.quicklook.satellite

9/5/15 8:50:23.000 AM kernel[0]: Sandbox: QuickLookSatelli(403) deny mach-lookup com.apple.nsurlstorage-cache

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 14.1.0: Mon Dec 22 23:10:38 PST 2014; root:xnu-2782.10.72~2/RELEASE_X86_64

Kernel UUID: DCF5C2D5-16AE-37F5-B2BE-ED127048DFF5

Kernel slide: 0x0000000004e00000

Kernel text base: 0xffffff8005000000

There a short periods of time when I can actually use the computer, like now, and then, presto, the restart starts. Thank you for your answers.

kernel panic problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.