Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail: The SMTP server “smtp.gmail.com” rejected the password for user

When opening mail I am asked for the Gmail password. I get the message:

The SMTP server “smtp.gmail.com” rejected the password for user ....

It seems to have injured the functionality of iCAL also.

Re-establishing the account, I get:

Logging in to the Google IMAP server “imap.gmail.com” failed. Make sure the user name and password you entered are correct, then click Continue. If the information isn’t correct, you cannot receive messages.

I have several email accounts running and the problem is a new one....The other accounts do not seem to be functioning either.

Advice?

Thanks very much for any help....

Best regards from earth CC

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Mail 5.3

Posted on Jun 14, 2015 3:41 PM

4 replies

Jun 15, 2015 6:41 AM in response to CCfromearth

Been having trouble with my mail also. I use mac mail. Here couple things you can try. However, your initial settings probably different then mine but try this anyway. (First make note of all info there now. Take SNAP SHOT: command-shift-space bar- click mouse. Print for reference.)

***Click on mail icon, select preferences. A settings window pops up. Has three tabs. Start with left tab; account information.

OUTGOING MAIL (smpt) - enter or select [none]

TLS box enter or select [none]

Click on advance tab: Port box , change port. In place of existing number, enter [465],

Authentication select [password] . That is the word password not your actual password.

Some of this depends on your server. Might have to contact them for guidance.

GF San Diego

Mail: The SMTP server “smtp.gmail.com” rejected the password for user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.