Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iDVD movies on a USB or SSD

Hello.

I'm on a MacBook Air - 2014 model with OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 installed.

I installed iDVD on this model because I use it a lot for several projects of mine.Usually, when I finish one project I record it on an empty DVD, ready to be used on the nearest DVD reader. But I was wondering: is it possible to record the project on an USB drive?! Or an external SD card... Perhaps anyone could explain how to or provide a link to a tutorial?

Thanks for any information you may provide me with.

All the best.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 14, 2015 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2015 1:30 PM

But I was wondering: is it possible to record the project on an USB drive?! Or an external SD card..

You can save the completed iDVD project as a disk image, File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. The disk image can be copied to a USB flash drive or SD card and played on any computer that can play video disk images like with DVD Player on a Mac.

User uploaded file

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2015 1:30 PM in response to JMPC

But I was wondering: is it possible to record the project on an USB drive?! Or an external SD card..

You can save the completed iDVD project as a disk image, File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. The disk image can be copied to a USB flash drive or SD card and played on any computer that can play video disk images like with DVD Player on a Mac.

User uploaded file

Jun 14, 2015 1:41 PM in response to Old Toad

Hello Old Toad.

Thanks for the feedback. I am aware of that alternative! I do it all the time...

Problem is, if I decide to use the USB or SD Card directly on a plasma screen, which obviously, doesn't have any software installed to read the .ISO file, then this option isn't useful...

Can you think of anything else?!

(If I find a solution I'll make sure to post it here!) ;-)

Thank you.

Jun 14, 2015 1:57 PM in response to JMPC

No, you can't use the iDVD disk image on a TV set. You need a video disk and DVD player to play them on a TV set.

Since you are creating the project with iDVD you can create slideshows in iPhoto of the stills you used in iDVD for the slideshows and export as a QT movie file. If you added videos to the iDVD project also use them. Save the video files to the SD card and if the TV set can read and play those movie files they will play on the TV set from the memory card.

Jun 14, 2015 2:05 PM in response to Old Toad

Why didn't I think of that first?!

To use iPhoto (luckily I still have the most recent version installed!) to create a slideshow and then transfer it to an SD card or USB is perfect for what I mean to do. Thank you for suggesting this!

I guess I'll have to do everything else the same old way! ;-) I wish Apple had continued this software...

Once again thank you very much.

All the best to you.

iDVD movies on a USB or SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.