Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help to Export Aperture library from external hard drive

I have an external hard drive storage of an aperture library (v. 3.2.4) showing 66.23 GB of photo data that I had on an OLD MacBook that I now no longer have. I do not have Aperture installed in my current MacBook Air.

I tried using the iPhoto and Photo export tools, both gave messages I needed to either upgrade Aperture or in the case of Photo, the message is simply:

User uploaded file

I do not wish to use Aperture and of course, Apple probably doesn't want me to either. But, I'd like my use of my images stored. Please assist.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 14, 2015 12:51 PM

3 replies

Jun 14, 2015 1:10 PM in response to katie_racegirl

Try to drag the Aperture library onto the Photos icon in the Dock. You cannot import the Library to Photos, you need to open it in Photos.

Dragging a photo library onto the icon will prompt Photos to convert the library to the Photos format.

Photos will create a new converted library on the same drive as the library is. The drive needs to be formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled). What is the format of the external drive, and how is it connected?

Jun 15, 2015 3:14 AM in response to katie_racegirl

It looks like you were trying to convert the iPhoto Library directly as part of the Time Machine backup.

That is not possible. First restore the iPhoto Library from the Time Machine backup to a folder on your system drive or to a different external drive. The external drive where you restore the iPhoto Library to needs to be formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled), or Photos will not be able to convert the library on that drive.

See: iPhoto '11: Restoring from Time Machine with iPhoto '11 (9.2 or later) and OS X Lion 10.7.2 (or later)

Help to Export Aperture library from external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.