Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the purpose of an alternate email address for the AppleID?

What's the purpose of an alternate email address for the AppleID? I'm asking because I want to switch the primary email address for my AppleID from my old student email account to my new alumni email account unless it's safer to keep it as the alternate email. My student account expired and I waited too long to set up mail forwarding, so the student account was deleted and it's completely inaccessible now. For now, I changed added my alumni email address as an alternate email address for my AppleID. The primary email address is still the student account.

Before I change the primary email address to be my alumni account, I want someone to reassure me that I won't (or warn me that I will) lose access to purchases I made when my AppleID was associated with my student account.

I've always had iCloud turned off and all of the free storage space is available, so I guess that's one less thing to worry about. Are my purchases the only thing I'd need to worry about if I change the primary email address?

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 14, 2015 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2015 3:04 PM

This is the proper method to change the email address used as your Apple ID. However, you cannot use an address that is currently listed in your account as your alternate email address.

Changing the email address you use for your Apple ID -

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5621

1 reply

What's the purpose of an alternate email address for the AppleID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.