Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are there any good replacements for iDVD? If so, what is the best one?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jun 14, 2015 5:00 PM

6 replies

Jun 14, 2015 7:14 PM in response to LOGoJ

Are there any good replacements for iDVD?

There is not.

I have tried many of them. iDVD is vastly superior to any of the alternatives I am aware of. Others here will attest to the same facts.

iDVD is readily available on Amazon as part of iLife 09 or iLife 11. Yet another example of the advantages of software sold on disk. Strongly recommend you get hold of iDVD while you still can.

If you simply want to burn a "plain" DVD, yes there are alternatives. But with iDVD in less than three minutes you can have moving menus and a great looking layout almost on the level of what Hollywood can do.

Jul 7, 2015 1:12 PM in response to LOGoJ

I agree with the above. With just one caveat and that is the chapter marker feature no longer works with iDVD. iMovie 10 removed chapter markers - so the only option with iDVD is automated chapters which disables the ability to set custom chapters. The only option now is to break up the video into chapters by # of minutes.

I recently tried Roxio Toast 14 which has a new module called "MyDVD." Unfortunately, version 1.0 does not seem to be compatible with Quicktime files - which makes it useless with iMovie files. But maybe that will change with the next update. It claims that it will be able to do custom chapters. The standard Roxio Toast 14 has similar chapter functionality to iDVD - to break up the video into chapters by # of minutes.

Jul 7, 2015 1:30 PM in response to ELM

I agree with the above. With just one caveat and that is the chapter marker feature no longer works with iDVD. iMovie 10 removed chapter markers - so the only option with iDVD is automated chapters which disables the ability to set custom chapters. The only option now is to break up the video into chapters by # of minutes.

If you are able to get a copy of iMovie 6 HD you'll be able to add chapter markers that work and have much better control over the adding of multiple audio tracks with overlap, fade in/out, etc.

User uploaded file

The one caveat with this is that you'll have to run it and iDVD on Mavericks.

Jul 14, 2015 6:34 PM in response to Ziatron

I bought an old version of iLife '11 from Amazon. When I installed it, it said there was a problem with the certificate and it might not install correctly. I did a custom install, but it wouldn't let me uncheck the box for iPhoto, so I didn't install it. This is the first time I have posted anything in Apple Support, and am not sure I did it correctly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.