You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch is not changing time zones

I travelled from Hawaii to Thailand and noticed that the Apple Watch time zone did not change. My iPhone 6+ automatically adjusted to the Bangkok time zone, but my watch did not change. I've tried several things including turning BT on/off, did not work. Did a quick reset on the Apple Watch, did not work. Did couple of other things I can't remember, did not work. Did find a workaround to customize the watch face time zone to Bangkok time. Benefit there is I have both Hawaii and Bangkok timezones - Hawaii is the main time, and Bangkok is the a smaller display. Question is, how do I get the Apple Watch to automatically sync time zones with my iPhone 6+ so it displays as the main time?

Apple Watch, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 14, 2015 10:38 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2015 4:35 PM

I'm not sure this will help, but it's worth checking - on your iPhone, go to the Settings app, tap "Privacy" and then "Location Services". Make sure that Location Services are turned on (the top setting) and also scroll down until you find "Apple Watch Faces" and make sure that's turned on as well.

16 replies

Nov 2, 2016 12:03 PM in response to Dbharvl

One thing that's easily overlooked - when traveling it's common to set the phone to "airplane mode", this simultaneously sets the watch to "airplane mode" as well. And it completely severs communication between the watch and phone.

Later, when you turn "airplane mode" off on the phone, it does not automatically change on the watch (because they can't communicate). The watch will not reflect the time-zone change until you manually turn "airplane mode" off on the watch too (swipe up to the control center, and tap the airplane mode icon).

So, before rebooting, check the airplane mode setting on the watch. When airplane mode is turned off on both the watch and the phone, then the watch should get the new location and adjust the time zone.

Jun 22, 2015 8:41 AM in response to kaipo726

That's odd - it should appear in the list of apps that are using your location services, below the setting for turning location services on or off (screenshot below). It may not be alphabetical - notice how my "Weather" app is at the top - so you may need to look carefully.

In a worst-case, you can try resetting the iPhone ("reset location and privacy" or "reset settings" should be good enough, no need to clear content), but before you do that I would fiddle with other settings to try to get the watch to communicate with the phone correctly. Maybe un-pair and re-pair the watch?

User uploaded file

Nov 25, 2015 6:35 AM in response to kaipo726

I know this may be a bit late but I had the same problem after travelling to a new time zone - my iPhone 6S Plus updated automatically but my Watch did not. After reading this thread and not finding an answer as I also followed the steps, I decided to "Power Off" the watch and turn it back on.

That solved the problem.

Give it a try.

Jun 26, 2015 2:13 AM in response to Joseph Delaney

Thank you. I think where trouble began was my iPhone crashing on me just before I left for my trip. I did a Reset All Settings, and that was only a temporary fix. My iPhone 6 Plus is new and I should have taken the time to do a fresh install of apps versus a restore from backup. I'm still traveling and my iPhone is still crashing on processor intensive apps like FaceTime, or even taking photos. In fact, The AppleWatch app freezes when I launch it. However, my AppleWatch shows that it is connected to my iPhone. When I return home I will do a clean install of everything onto my iPhone. Hopefully that will solve the problem. Thank you again for your assistance.

Nov 17, 2016 4:11 AM in response to kaipo726

I am new to the Apple watch (series 2) and have only had it for a couple of days. I took a day trip to a different time-zone, and noticed the same problem; the _digital_ clock faces did not update to the correct time zone.

But, and this is the odd thing, the _analog_ watch faces showed the correct time for my locality.

So, it seems to me that the watch had been updated, but something else is going on.

Apple Watch is not changing time zones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.