Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost serial number

I am trying to open Final Cut Express for the first time after a long time of not using it, and it is asking me for the serial number. Unfortunately I don't have this, as I know longer have the packaging that it came in. What can I do?

Posted on Jun 14, 2015 11:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2015 1:27 AM

This is a long shot but worth trying.

Navigate to MacHD>Library>Application Support>ProApps>Final Cut Express System ID

Open the FCE System ID file with TextEdit and a few lines down you should see a line like this:-

<string>F-123-ABC-648-JKL-678-NOB-749-WHO-906</string>

I have used random letters and numbers but the serial should have a similar setout to the underlined section above.

The fact that FCE can't find it probably means it is no longer there but it is still worth looking.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2015 1:27 AM in response to REKandler

This is a long shot but worth trying.

Navigate to MacHD>Library>Application Support>ProApps>Final Cut Express System ID

Open the FCE System ID file with TextEdit and a few lines down you should see a line like this:-

<string>F-123-ABC-648-JKL-678-NOB-749-WHO-906</string>

I have used random letters and numbers but the serial should have a similar setout to the underlined section above.

The fact that FCE can't find it probably means it is no longer there but it is still worth looking.

Lost serial number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.