Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove Subject tags auto added to emails sent to group mailing lists

Hi,

We recently installed a new mail server running Mac OS X Server 10.10.3 (Server 4.1).

From now on, when we send an email to any of our group mailing lists, our mail server sends the email to each member of the list but it adds systematically the mailing list name within square brackets added to the beginning of the "Subject" line, and I want to remove this feature that we didn't have before.

I didn't find such option in the server admin commands or GUI, I had a look at the mailing list configuration files (/Library/Server/Mail/Config/MailServicesOther.plist and /Library/Server/Mail/Config/listserver/prefs/*) but I wasn't able to find any documentation about it. I've set the list_server_log_level to debug mode, but the /Library/Logs/Mail/listserver.log file didn't give me any interesting information after this modification.

Do you know if it is possible to remove this subject tags feature?

Thanks in advance.

Eric

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Jun 15, 2015 6:37 AM

3 replies

Jul 25, 2015 12:57 PM in response to elabatut

Hi,

did you get an answer to this issue? I ran into the same thing and called Apple Enterprise Support. They have no information on any config details to remove the mailing list name from the subject line. If that were possible, it would be an option to use the workgroup GUI settings for such "group mail" functions.

In Mavericks I can still use the /etc/aliases plus virtual_user directives. But these somehow don't seem to work in Yosemite, or was anybody able to set up group mail addresses as "sales@domain.com" being forwarded to several users through proper settings under /etc/aliases?

I am urgently searching for a solution because otherwise I can't upgrade from Mavericks to Yosemite ...

Maybe I should ask for getting my money back on Yosemite Server, because it doesn't serve properly! :-/

Kind regards,

Olaf.

Jul 30, 2015 6:33 AM in response to äppel.de

Hi,

The only solution that I found was to use lists through aliases instead of group member lists.

To do that:

- Edit /Library/Server/Mail/Config/postfix/aliases (and not /etc/aliases) to add your list redirection as follows:

mylist: :include:/etc/postfix/mylist_members

- Create the file /etc/postfix/mylist_members containing the members of your "mylist" list (one line = one full email of your domain)

- Update the aliases.db file with the command "sudo newaliases" to take into account the modification

- You can then send immediately emails to your new alias group list mylist@yourdomain

Best regards,

Eric

Jan 11, 2016 5:51 AM in response to elabatut

Hi,

I also has the same problem on El Capitan (OS X 10.11.2) + Server 5.0.x.

I tried the "only solution" on the above posting, but can't remove the tag on the subject line.

- Create the file /etc/postfix/mylist_members containing the members of your "mylist" list (one line = one full email of your domain)

Could you explain in detail for "mylist_members" file?

Remove Subject tags auto added to emails sent to group mailing lists

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.