Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to export many .mov files as one file from iPhoto onto an external hard drive

I have about 176 .mov movie files that I combined into an album on iPhoto 9.6.1 (on OS X Yosemite, 10.10.2). I then created a saved slideshow for those same .mov files. This slideshow then plays like a single movie on the computer. I want to back up my movies as one file on an external hard drive. I have a 1 terabyte external hard drive. I tried exporting the slideshow, but it is taking forever and I'm not sure it is even working. I installed Caffeine to keep the computer awake, but I doubt this will solve my problems. Should I be using iMovie instead or something else that I should purchase? I was able to move all the individual .mov files to the external hard drive, but to play them back, I don't want 176 files, but one combined file. Thanks!

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jun 15, 2015 11:44 AM

1 reply

Jun 15, 2015 1:43 PM in response to mowzun

You're doing what I would suggest:

Export the iPhoto slideshows to the EHD via the Export button at the bottom of the window.

User uploaded file

Select the format of the slideshow movie in the next window

User uploaded file

and set the EHD as the destination. NOTE: the EHD must be formatted OS X Extended (journaled) and connected by FW or USB cable.

As you suspect it may take a long time to export so turn off all Energy Saver settings in the System preferences. Also you should have at least a minimum of 15 GB of free space on your boot drive for any temporary and scratch files that iPhoto might create.

Even with the above that's a lot of files to join together as a single move so it may not complete successfully.

You can use Activity Monitor to see if iPhoto is actively working the export. That said it might take many, many hours to complete.

There's bound to be 3rd party apps for quickly joining movie files to gather. Do a search at the App Store and also at MacUpdate.com.

User uploaded file

How to export many .mov files as one file from iPhoto onto an external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.