Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you take an iMovie iOS project to iMovie on the Mac?

I can see how to get the .iMovieMobile project from iOS onto my computer, but I can't see any way in iMovie on the Mac to get it into that application. Not sure what the benefit is of having the option to save the project on the Mac if it can't be brought in iMovie Mac.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Mid 2012 2.6G i7

Posted on Jun 15, 2015 5:03 PM

19 replies

Jun 17, 2015 2:49 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Greetings Tom,

So if I understand you correctly, you have created an iMovie project on your iOS device and want to move it to your Mac to continue working on it, is that right?

The following article addresses your issue with instructions on how to bring the project into iMovie on your Mac -

iMovie '11: Import an iMovie project from an iOS device

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Be well,

Brett L

Jun 17, 2015 2:49 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Greetings Tom,

So if I understand you correctly, you have created an iMovie project on your iOS device and want to move it to your Mac to continue working on it, is that right?

The following article addresses your issue with instructions on how to bring the project into iMovie on your Mac -

iMovie '11: Import an iMovie project from an iOS device

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Be well,

Brett L

Oct 15, 2015 11:43 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

You can choose to share the project file to iTunes (instead of iCloud) if you don't want to use up bandwidth or take up your iCloud storage space. On your Mac, you can grab the file, while your device is connected, in iTunes by clicking on your device, clicking Apps and scrolling down to where it says 'File Sharing'. Click iMovie in the list and you will see your project(s) on the right. Drag it to your desktop and import in iMovie. (Just remember to delete the copy from your device later since it takes up extra space)

Oct 18, 2015 12:17 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

HI all,

i would like to open an iOS iMovie 'trailer' in iMovie for MacBook, to convert into a project. Following the steps above (via iTunes) is successful until I try to open the iOS trailer file in iMovie, at which point I receive an error message from iMovie that the file was created in an old version of iMovie for iOS and is incompatible. I believe the iMovie on my phone is the latest version (2.1.2) and can't see any upgrades. imovie on the Mac is the latest version, upgraded yesterday. Has anyone come across this issue? Appreciate any thoughts!

Can you take an iMovie iOS project to iMovie on the Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.