Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite clean install taking way too long?

Ok, so one day the lights went out while I was working on my iMac and it shut down. The next time I turned it on it wouldn't start, it'd only show the apple logo and the progress bar would get stuck halfway. I tried just about everything but it would not even start in recovery mode, just in single user mode. When I tried repairing using fsck it said the volume was ok. I never new why it wouldn't start, so I decided it was best to install Yosemite again. I managed to backup all my files from single user mode and created a bootable USB with the newest version of Yosemite. I booted from the USB drive and finally got the options to open utility disk and repair or erase the hard drive. I erased the hard drive, checked if it needed repairing and everything was going fine until I tried installing Yosemite. It showed a window saying it was going to copy the necessary files to the hard drive and the restart. In the first attempt two hours passed and the progress bar never filled, not one bit. The next attempt went fine, and restarted. It opened again the installation window and said 17minutes remaining, so I waited, after a few minutes a bit of the progress bar filled a tiny bit then another two hours passed and it filled another bit. Long story short, it took 3 days for it to fill completely. Then it restarted and got stuck again in the apple logo with the progress bar halfway for another day until I turned it off. So it basically ended with the same issue it started. I've tried to install it again but the bar just takes the same amount of time and the log shows a lot of errors, for example:

X /Volumes/Macintosh HD: Missing core services

Keyboard layout identifier -xxxxx has ben replaced with -xxxxxx

Also I made two bootable drives because I thought one might be corrupt or something but it's the same with both...

My iMac is compatible with Yosemite.

Please help!

iMac, iOS 5.1.1, iMovie

Posted on Jun 15, 2015 6:06 PM

2 replies

Jun 15, 2015 6:19 PM in response to GIEM

You might resolve this by zapping the PRAM.

Press and hold Command-Option + "P" + "R" immediately after turning on the computer and wait for the computer to chime four times.

Among other things, this will force the EFI firmware to re-detect its hardware.

That being said, power outages (or the spike that occurs when power is restored) can permanently damage components. I have UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) battery backups with built-in line conditioners on all my desktop computers. I live in a regional area where power outages are common, but frankly, outages happen everywhere eventually. Some brands of UPS are Mac compatible and are easy to configure to shut down the computer gracefully if a power outage is longer than the battery's capacity. A UPS with a line conditioner is better.

You may find that after re-detecting available hardware, something crucial is missing, damaged by the power spike that can occur at the time of the outage or when power is restored.

At that point, some power companies have forms for recovering your losses, if not, your home owner's insurance or renter's insurance will sometimes cover it, they will check that a power failure occurred at the time you specify so keep a record of the power outage's date and time.

Yosemite clean install taking way too long?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.