Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SourceForge Installs Mac Malware

Believe It Or Not! SourceForge is pushing malware.

(Actually, test it yourself if you do not believe it.)

I recently installed FileZilla. During the installation process it asked me to install known malware: MacKeeper (known to corrupt OS X), PremierOpinion (former versions know to be spyware), and ZipCloud. I complained to FileZilla.

FileZilla said they could do nothing about it because SourceForge supplies the installation wrapper.

Since FileZilla is an open source application maintained on SourceForge, they use SourceForge’s installer package. FileZilla can not avoid this evil practice since they are dependent on Sourceforge’s installer. (They do have another download option that does not use an installer. I suggested they remove the SourceForge installer and use that more primitive method.)

I sent a note to security@sourceforge.net reporting that they are the scum of the earth for pushing malware. (I did not use those exact words.)

Try it yourself. (This is a safe experiment.) Download FileZilla (https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?show_all=1). Take care to answer “skip” to the malware installation requests. When you get to the real FileZilla installation page, you can quit.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 15, 2015 9:33 PM

7 replies

Jun 15, 2015 10:05 PM in response to Kappy

Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP) are malware. While the Sourceforge installer does ask if you want to install MacKeeper, they do it in a way that appears to be part of the FileZilla installation process. So, technically, it is not PUP, but I would say it barks.

You might consider MacKeeper malware in that people report its uninstaller leaves behind stubs that pester you to reinstall MacKeeper. At that point it is definitely PUP.

TheSafeMac reports that PremierOpinion is malware and potentially spyware.

http://www.thesafemac.com/arg-premier-opinion/

ZipCloud is PUP (often installed silently) but it appears to do no harm. ZipCloud does not provide an uninstaller and their instructions for uninstalling it leave behind files in the hidden folders.

And anyway, what on Earth was SourceForge thinking when they started pushing this onerous (if not harmful) software?

Jun 15, 2015 10:22 PM in response to hands4

Malware, short for malicious software, is any software used to disrupt computer operation, gather sensitive information, or gain access to private computer systems.[1] Malware is defined by its malicious intent, acting against the requirements of the computer user, and does not include software that causes unintentional harm due to some deficiency. The term badware is sometimes used, and applied to both true (malicious) malware and unintentionally harmful software.[2]

Whether it's unwanted or not is hardly a qualification for true malware. Furthermore, calling a valid working piece of software malware is in itself a bit malicious because it is libel in the loosest sense.

In any event feel free to call it what you want, but it is not malware in the strictest sense. Whatever SourceForge is doing, these forums are not the proper venue for expressing your opinion about them. Read the Terms of Use for these forums and try to follow them. It will be appreciated.

Jun 16, 2015 5:28 AM in response to hands4

I went to the link you provided - https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?show_all=1

I then clicked on the first choice which is for the Mac version of FileZilla and this downloads a .bz2 compressed file. I then decompressed that file by double-clicking on it, this produced the FileZilla application. There was no installer program, no malware, no unwanted extra applications, it was just the FileZilla program.

Now what sometimes may be the case is that when you click on a link to go to a download site e.g. the first entry on the FileZilla project page which remember 'says' it is for a .bz2 compressed file, it takes you to an automated download page, this is what happens in this case. This download page as is not uncommon has on it lots of adverts some of which are deliberately misleading by themselves having the word 'download' in their advert. If however you do nothing i.e. click on nothing then what should happen is that SourceForge will after a few seconds automatically send you the .bz2 file, if you look closely in the top left portion you will actually see the words "Your download will start in X seconds".

It sounds like you have been ignoring that message and clicking on one of the adverts below it and that is triggering another different website - not SourceForge and not FileZilla in to sending you some foul malware infested download.

I am not going to try clicking on all the adverts to try and find out which one you have mistakenly been clicking on.

As a general comment I have used SourceForge for many years and they do not add installer wrappers to any software hosted on their site. They only provide exactly the files uploaded by the authors.

The only other possibility that occurs to me is that maybe your browser has been previously attacked after visiting a different website and now it is doing the wrong thing, however I feel the first possibility that you clicked on something you should not have rather waiting.

Jun 16, 2015 7:04 AM in response to hands4

hands4 wrote:

SourceForge is pushing malware.

Yes. This is well-known, in some circles at least. To make matters worse, the software that SourceForge and other scam-ware sites deliver is often customized on a per-download basis. This means that you can go onto a forum like this one and warn people about malware. Then people will try it out and proclaim that there is no malware to be found at that link. They might even accuse you of click on ads instead of download buttons. (Which could easily be true if you have ever gone to a site like SourceForge without an ad-blocker.) How can that be?

The answer is that these are not static downloads. The scam-ware sites look at your browser settings and probably also cross-reference your IP address and other tracking cookies to Big Data advertiser information. If that split-second analysis indicates that you might be a patsy, then you might get adware. The installer that you download may do a similar kind of analysis. The end result is that one person will get loaded up with malware and another person who clicks the same link will not.

So yes, you are being scammed. And the people trying to help you and verify this report are being scammed as well. Don't fall for it. While ad-blockers are very useful, I advise disabling them before downloading anything. If the site you are downloading from is full of ads, then the software you would download will also be full of ads or worse. You can't even suggest downloading directly from a source website anymore since SourceForge is one of those. A new tactic is wrapping open source programs into adware and malware installers like MPlayerX does. Usually, the only real indicator you have is the presence of obnoxious ads on a website. If you see those, don't download any software. While open source software is safe by itself, its open source nature makes it very susceptible to this kind of trickery. These days, I don't think it is wise to download software from any source other than Apple's App Stores.

Jun 16, 2015 7:07 AM in response to hands4

Sourceforge, once the bastion of free software repositories, has been pushing junk bloatware after it was acquired by Dice holdings a while back. Coincidence or not, I'm not judging.

Don't download anything from source forge, unless you like unwanted junk.

Download.com appears to have gone the same way.

Jun 16, 2015 3:06 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy, I take your point. PUP is not necessarily malware.

I have seen sites that define it as so and others that do not. Some (such as The Safe Mac) define it a malware because it has the keys to your computer house (which you may have given it unknowingly) so it has access to your sensitive information. It simply chooses not to use that information to its advantage (as far as we know).

The Safe Mac notes a previous instantiation of PremierOpinion was malware. “It was widely identified as malware due to the data harvesting capabilities.” They noted PremierOpinion did indeed cross into malware territory. They also noted this behavior has not been observed in PremierOpinion' reïncarnation. Would you feel comfortable with a known criminal, supposedly reformed, having the keys to your house?

So one should avoid or be very careful with sites that use SourceForge-based installers and FileZilla in particular (where I discovered it).

FileZilla has chosen to push this adware during their installation process. They offer an alternate download process (not obvious to find) that bypasses the SourceForge problem. Thus they are complicit in duping people into installing adware. They could promote that alternative method to their primary method, dropping the SourceForge installer.

SourceForge Installs Mac Malware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.