Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore desktop icon arrangement

When I turned on my iMac, all the folders/icons are moved to the right side of the screen. Is there a way to restore the arrangement to how it was yesterday/last? Is there a way through Time Machine? Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 16, 2015 6:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2015 7:59 AM

Hello Dave,

I don't think there is, other than drag them back. I have had this happen once or twice when I've been organising desktop. They just go all silly and resort to the finder screen. But once you drag them back, quit desktop and they should then stay in position. Time machine resorts to finder screen too ( as you may have found out).

Let us know how you get on.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2015 7:59 AM in response to dave leo

Hello Dave,

I don't think there is, other than drag them back. I have had this happen once or twice when I've been organising desktop. They just go all silly and resort to the finder screen. But once you drag them back, quit desktop and they should then stay in position. Time machine resorts to finder screen too ( as you may have found out).

Let us know how you get on.

How to restore desktop icon arrangement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.