Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Server not accessible after 24 hours

I have a client I visit once a week. I inherited this setup, so I'm still learning the ins and outs of this particular network. They have two keys servers.

• Mac Pro(Running Mt. Lion and Server 2.2.5). This is their main server, OD, File Sharing, etc. I don't think the main server is relevant to the problem, just explaining the basic setup of the network.
  • Macbook Pro(Running Mav and Server 3.2.2). This machine is solely for Time Machine. This server also has a 4TB external drive via FW800.
  • Clients are all on Mavericks with various different hardware(iMac and MBP mostly).

So my issue is all client are pointing to the Macbook running the Time Machine service(TM Server). When I'm there, I reboot the TM server and everyone is able to connect, no problem. I check back later in the day, everyone is still connecting. Next day same deal. However sometime around the post 24 hour mark, the TM server is no longer accessible. So next week I'll come back and everyone's backups are 5 and 6 days old. I can log into the TM Server, fire up server. Nothing changes. Not until I reboot. After reboot, it doesn't matter if I log in or not(I believe). They all can connect and backup for another ~24hours.

• I have verified energy setting never put this TM server to sleep.
  • I have run sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/autodiskmount AutomountDisksWithoutUserLogin -bool true

Nothing has alleviated the issue. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Posted on Jun 16, 2015 10:15 AM

6 replies

Jun 17, 2015 4:39 PM in response to Buschman007

One thing I noticed. The TM server itself backups up to the external drive and that also fails right around the same time. If the issue is the external drive, how could I check that out? Is there specific logs I should be checking in Console? The weird thing is I can access the drive in the non receptive state. It's showing online and I can open the drive, see the backup files.

Your helpful suggestions are appreciated.

Mike

Jun 18, 2015 5:48 AM in response to Buschman007

Hi Mike,

When using a portable MacBookPro as a server, I think sleep or deepsleep is the issue and solution here:

http://www.cnet.com/news/tutorial-preventing-portable-mac-sleep-problems/

it is not direct related but will point you in the right direction for solving this issue.

I would not recommend using a MacBookPro at all as a server, only as a testing platform perhaps.

I would use a desktop like a macmini for this purpose because of sleepissues and the durability of the hardware (laptops are not designed for that purpose) or get a 3TB Timecapsule and use that as a backup. Or transfer that drive to the MacPro and start timemachine from that platform.

Goodluck

Jeffrey

Jun 18, 2015 2:26 PM in response to jepping

The drive is a G-Technology G-Drive 2TB (Model:0G02529)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/893259-REG/G_Technology_0g02529_2TB_G_Driv e_USB_3_0.html

I have seen these G-Drive used by many a Mac guy.

Is there anything in the Logs that might reveal if this drive is at all dropping offline?

If it DID drop off line, I would anticipate the infamous "Disk Not Ejected Properly" warning. Not to mention that drive should have disappeared off of the desktop. But every time I remote into the box there is never a visual warning and the drive is always fully accessible.

Jun 18, 2015 2:33 PM in response to Buschman007

Sorry didn't see your first post initially. I will go through that link. I inherited this setup so just trying to make the best of it. I thought of moving Time Machine over to the Mac Pro server. My only concern is it is running an older server version. Wondering if there will be compatibility issues with the clients all running Mavericks.

If not, could it be as simple as moving the drive over to the Mac Pro, starting the TM service and setting it up. I assume that even if I name the TM share the same name("Time Machine") on the Mac Pro I will still need to go computer to computer to remove the old drive and point them to the new drive? However i also assume that once they connect to the old TM drive on the Mac Pro they will see their old backups and just do the incremental change backups instead of everyone doing a full backup?

The only nice thing about having TM on a separate server is that I can reboot it at any time to resolve this issue. Thanks for the suggestions.

Mike

Jul 5, 2015 1:12 PM in response to Buschman007

Transferring the drive will give the hardware a new UID so that will not work.

But when all current users using timemachine are available on the old server as well, they need to remove the timemachine destination and point to the new timemachine destination shared folder available from the MacPro.

Then timemachine will recognize the old backups and continue.

It is a much better setup even if the main advantage is a reboot. That has never stopped me.

Goodluck

Jeffrey

Time Machine Server not accessible after 24 hours

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.