Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine taking forever?

I have a brand new MacBook Pro.

Launched the time machine back up today, it has been running for 8+ hours, and has only done 20% of my backup.

Is this normal? Thank you!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Time Machine

Posted on Jun 16, 2015 5:52 AM

7 replies

Jun 16, 2015 9:46 AM in response to MissusB

Greetings to the antipodes. 🙂

I am pleased that you found the problem but let me advise you that there is no need to have any AV software on your MBP. All too often they can create unnecessary problems, such as you experienced. The Apple OSX has sufficient AV protection so the only real concern at this time is malware. That can only be introduced with user assistance by downloading and installing items from scurrilous web sites. I would encourage you to rid the MBP of the AV software and check the developer website for uninstall instructions.

Ciao.

Aug 30, 2015 6:26 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

guys i recently read a post (but can't seem to link to it now that I have created a user id, typical...) it was regarding the encryption process re time machine. My encryption process was taking forever so from the article I have simply encrypted the external hard drive that I will be using for time machine back ups by selecting the Mac OS extended journaled, encrypted option.. I then started time machine but selected the option to disable encryption through time machine because why would I want to doubly encrypt something, or would I?? for the health of the files I mean, not because of any top secret documents.. Anybody know what I am trying poorly to explain?? 😕 confused.com

Time Machine taking forever?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.