Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

importing photos to Photos from Aperture

I did not transfer the photos I had in Aperture to iPhoto before I downloaded Yosemite. Now I can't access the program or photos. What is the best way to get access to these photos? Can I go back to my old OS and transfer the photos? How do I do that? Would a restore from my backup accomplish that?

Thanks

iMac, iOS 8

Posted on Jun 16, 2015 6:31 AM

3 replies

Jun 16, 2015 6:55 AM in response to lhgsds4me

Have you tried to update to Aperture 3.6 to be able to open your Aperture library in Aperture? Aperture 3.6 is working well with MacOS X 10.10.3. See this User Tip: Updating to Aperture 3.6 After the Release of Photos

And also: Notes on Migrating an Aperture Library from Aperture to Photos for Mac

If you want to open your Aperture library in the new Photos.app, drag the Aperture Library onto the Photos icon in the Dock. That will create a migrated copy.

Where is your Aperture library stored? Photos can only migrate the library , if it is on drive that has sufficient space for the migrated copy and is formatted MAcOS Extended (Journaled), see this link: Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture

Is your Aperture library in your Pictures folder or on an external drive ?

And what is your current Aperture version? Photos will be able to migrate Aperture 3 libraries, but I don't know, if it can migrate Aperture 2 libraries.

Jun 16, 2015 11:22 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for the information. I will have to go through the links more thoroughly.

Unfortunately, I think I am using Aperture v 2. I can no longer open it.

My photos are in the Pictures folder.

I did open Photos and linked it to the Aperture library, but it doesn't look like it imported all the photos. (I have a current backup of everything). I didn't get any errors, just what looks to be an imcomplete library. I tried to import again, but the file name is greyed out. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jun 16, 2015 11:41 AM in response to lhgsds4me

Unfortunately, I think I am using Aperture v 2. I can no longer open it.

Ask Apple Support for help.

You need to run Aperture 3 on your library to upgrade it, so Photos can migrate it.

You cannot do this on your own, since Aperture 3 is no longer sold by Apple, and the versions, that can be bought from Amazon or eBay cannot be updated to Aperture 3.6, the only version, that will run on your system. Aperture 3.6 is only available from the App Store, and only if you already own Aperture 3.

Does anyone in your family or a friend own Aperture, so they could convert your Aperture library for you to an Aperture 3 version?

importing photos to Photos from Aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.