Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Install OS on PowerBook G4

Hello. I just got a PowerBook G4 Aluminum so I could run OS X Cheetah on it. It came running Leopard, which was very slow and I would rather have been running Tiger. I tried installing Tiger by using Mac OS X Install Discs from my iBook G4. The PowerBook booted from the disc just as my iBook did, it asked me for a language, and opened the installer. The installer looked normal for a second and then a message came up saying that the OS could not be installed on that computer. So, thinking that Leopard was causing this, I erased the hard drive using Disk Utility, which I could access from the discs. Then I restarted my PowerBook from the discs again and I got the same result as before. Now the PowerBook can't boot and I get a folder icon with a blinking question mark an finder icon in it whenever I turn the PowerBook on. Now the PowerBook is good for nothing but good looks (NOT when turned on). Here's what I have that might be able to fix the problem:

• Mac OS X Install Discs from my iBook G4 that installs 10.4.4.
  • A MacBook Pro that can be connected to my PowerBook using FireWire when the PowerBook is in Target Disk Mode.
  • A FireWire cord that can connect my iBook and PowerBook.
  • An OS X Cheetah Install CD that I made from a download.
  • An OS X Puma Install CD that I made from a download.
  • An external FireWire hard drive that I could temporarily store an OS on.
  • An 8 GB USB drive that I could temporarily store an OS on.

In case I haven't made it clear, the iBook G4 still boots OS X Tiger and burns CDs and runs Disk Utility (so I can copy data to the PowerBook G4's hard drive).

Please note that I only want to install Tiger TEMPORARILY just so I can install OS X Cheetah or Puma. I need to install one of those in the end. Don't ask why. I don't think I've mentioned that I can't at all boot from my self-made Cheetah and Puma install discs. If I can't fix my PowerBook, could you recommend a disc I could buy or email me a disk image (I'll give my email address if you ask)? Please help.

PowerBook, Other OS, G4, no OS currently running on it.

Posted on Jun 16, 2015 7:12 AM

10 replies

Jun 16, 2015 5:30 PM in response to HFTaylor12

You can't do that.

Every Mac has a minimum and maximum operating system.

The Aluminum Powerbooks varied: Mac OS: Versions, builds included with PowerPC Macs (since 1998) - Apple Support

says the following:

Power Mac G3, G4, G5

Date introduced

Original Mac OS included
(see Notes 1 and 5)

Later Mac OS included
(see Note 1)

Mac OS X Build(s)
(see Note 2)

PowerBook G4 (15-inch FW 800) * Aug 2003 9.2.2, 10.2.7 10.3 6R55, 7B85
PowerBook G4 (17-inch) * Mar 2003 9.2.2, 10.2.4 10.2.7, 10.3 6I34, 6J25, 6R55
PowerBook G4 (12-inch DVI) * Sept 2003 9.2.2, 10.2.7 10.3 6R55, 7B85
PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.5/1.33GHz) and (17-inch 1.5GHz) * Apr 2004 10.3.3 10.3.4, 10.4 7G43, 7L46, 8A428
PowerBook G4 (12-inch 1.33GHz) * Apr 2004 10.3.3 10.3.4 7G33, 7L46
PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.67/1.5GHz) and (17-inch 1.67GHz) * Jan 2005 10.3.7 10.4 7T62, 8A428
PowerBook G4 (12-inch 1.5GHz) * Jan 2005 10.3.7 10.4.2 7T51, 8E90A
PowerBook G4 (Double-Layer SD) * Oct 2005 10.4.2 - 8E45

All support 10.4.6 Retail and 10.4.3 retail which look like:

User uploaded fileand does not say Dropin or OEM on it.

Those listed as shipped new with 10.3.7 or earlier also support 10.4.0 which looks like the above image (except it would just say 10.4 in white letters).

Macs released with serial numbers xx433 to xx516 could only use the 10.3 installer disc that shipped with them to install 10.3, and for retail release could use 10.4 or 10.5 retail. 10.5. retail does not support Classic. For more on that, see this tip:

How to Install Leopard Troublefree

Those listed as shipped new with 10.3.4 or earlier also support the 10.3.5 retail which looks like:

User uploaded fileand did not say upgrade, dropin, or OEM.

Macs that were released between 12/17/2003 and 8/12/2004 with serial numbers xx351...xx432 could only install 10.3.5 retail as is labelled on the disc and the prebundled 10.3 installer disc that came with them. Macs that were released between 10/24/2003 and 12/17/2003 (xx343...xx350) could only install 10.3.2 (looks the same as the 10.3.5 except for the letters on it giving the operating system), or 10.3.5 retail.

And Macs which shipped with 10.2.8 or earlier could use the similar looking 10.3.0 retail installer.

Jaguar is only available to Aluminum Powerbooks through their prebundled installer discs since all Aluminum Powerbooks were released after the December 2002 retail release of 10.2.3.

Jun 17, 2015 3:01 PM in response to HFTaylor12

OK, guys, I got something. I connected the PowerBook to my iBook G4 with FireWire and put the PowerBook G4 into target disk mode. I then restored the PowerBooks drive from the iBooks hard drive with disk utility (I figured this would not work, but I tried it anyway). Then I turned the PowerBook on. I got the gray Apple logo and then a gray ∅. So I did a PRAM reset (hold down command+option+p+r keys at startup) and I got the gray Apple logo, which stayed put on the screen for quite a while. In fact, it's still there as I'm typing this. No spinning gear ever appears under it. Can someone please help? If I need to reset my iBooks hard drive using the discs, I will. I don't care how much I have to mess with my iBook. Please help.

Jun 18, 2015 2:01 AM in response to HFTaylor12

On the oldest iBook (white polycarbonate dual USB) model you could natively run Cheetah

OS X 10.0 would be the First edition from May 2001, as the second build of that sales model

shipped with both OS X and Mac OS 9.1. This much as been said before, so if you like

to try & use an older OS X and old Mac OS, then get the proper hardware. re: MacTracker.

You generally cannot install or run a Mac OS or OS X system on a computer older than

the version build Mac OS the hardware shipped with. This has been repeated to you in

several threads where you brought up the topic. re: LowEndMac. EveryMac. etc.

Since Tiger 10.4.11 is the last version OS X that can support 'classic' applications, even

though the computer which shipped with it could not boot Mac OS9.2.2 or before, at least

if you wanted to try some old Mac OS applications, Tiger allows that which later is lost in

the Leopard 10.5; so there is a hardware limitation tied to the software capability in Macs.

However, by your repeated asking of the same question, it would appear something is not

understood, and one may assume the information you think you know, wast not researched.

That in and of itself, would tend to believe by appearances, you do not know which OS X

and other systems are relevant when vintage Mac hardware & suitable OS are involved.

Everymac.com, mactracker.ca (download), and other online sources are good to use when

seeking information on what build OS X and Mac OS may be mutually supported. The

hardware drivers are not present in a vintage Mac OS to run a later model computer GPU

as they did not exist. You could experiment with a unix based free OS that is made for use

in the PowerPC series Mac architecture, or perhaps attempt to contact Apple Sales support

to see if they can line you up with a 'replacement copy' of an OS X disc set, or a full installer

DVD, for the PowerBook G4 you have, based on the serial number. You may be able to get

a white label or other non-retail copy from Applecare or AppleSupport, etc, however as time

goes forward, even though some users in the past year had good results (for a fee) others

were unable to get a full install DVD copy. I've seen the discs, either Tiger 10.4, or Leopard

10.5, white, and say 'not for retail sale'. These are full installers, and were created by Apple

on order, but not available in the online store; they were in the Support catalog however.

In any event, since this question has been repeated, I thought to venture a reply, again.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Jun 18, 2015 6:25 AM in response to HFTaylor12

Thanks for your help, but I figured out a different solution. I connected the PowerBook to the iBook with FireWire. I then put the PowerBook G4 into Target Disk Mode. Then I booted the iBook G4 from the Mac OS X Install CD that came with it. When I came to the "Select Destination" part, I chose the PowerBook's hard drive. Now Tiger is installed and my PowerBook is working great. Thanks for your help, though.

Can't Install OS on PowerBook G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.