Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is the audio parameter behavior not working?

Why is the audio parameter behavior not working? It now just stays dormant when added. Prior to the 3d update it was working just fine.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Jun 16, 2015 8:07 AM

22 replies

Jun 18, 2015 11:09 PM in response to djde2ce

If you set the Respond To to Transients, you can pretty much forget about seeing anything. That parameter should almost always be set to Amplitude. (Transients are very short-lived.) Also, for audio, the Apply Mode should almost always be Add. or Subtract Multiply doesn't seem to work very well and Add and Subtract is basically the same as Add (Audio is always positive...). If you're adding the parameter to the Position parameters of an object, then the scale needs to represent the number of pixels you want the audio to affect that position. Etc...

Jul 4, 2015 3:19 PM in response to fox_m

I have tried everything I can think of at this point....I'm wondering if i can just do a default reset of the program, and everything go back to original settings and see if that will fix it. That's the only behavior not working and I don't know if its something with the new update or a setting i have on the computer that has made it stop working.

Feb 21, 2016 10:41 AM in response to fox_m

I'm having the same problem.

I was using audio behaviours without any such problem before the most recent update (5.2.3) , but now the output bar just doesn't move with the amplitude of the music.

If I adjust the frequency range, the level of the output bar changes - but only in a static fashion. Once I start playback, it just stays at whatever level it was at.

I've tried various audio sources .mov, .aif. .mp3, and all are doing the same.

Feb 22, 2016 1:37 AM in response to The Lone Roger

Assuming the audio is in good shape [AIFF or WAV recommended, 16 or 24-bit integer (basically: uncompressed), but MP3 can be used (not recommended because it's usually heavily compressed and will take longer)] and you add it to the source well of an Audio behavior, IF you continue on immediately and "leave" the behavior to handle some other edit, Motion will often STOP calculating "keyframes" based on the audio you've supplied. (They are what you might call "hidden keyframes" - they cannot be edited -- but see below.)

Whenever you see this:

User uploaded file

you really need to let Motion finish, period. However long it takes...

If you've changed a parameter in the Audio Behavior, sometimes Motion looks like it takes care of it instantly, but IF you do NOT see it analyzing the audio again (say for example, when you change the Hi/Lo Frequency, Floor/Ceiling, Smoothness, Peaks, Apply Mode, etc.) go back to the Respond To parameter and click on Amplitude and let it go (do NOT switch to transients and back to amplitude - it's a waste of time! ... and sometimes Motion will crash...)

Once Motion has absolutely-for-sure finished analyzing the audio, you may go on to whatever the next step of your project would be.

To double check what Motion has done with the Audio, Right-Click on the parameter the audio is controlling and Show In Keyframe Editor. You should see something like this:

User uploaded file

If you don't, make sure that the Apply To parameter at the very bottom of the Audio behavior is actually set for the parameter you intended. (And let Motion finish analyzing the audio.) If you see any flat lines where there is not silence, something or someone interrupted Motion from completing the task. Also, you can use the view in the keyframe editor to detect if Motion has modified the audio behavior if you've made changes to parameters. (It's easy to detect options like smoothing, etc.)

By the way, you cannot edit these "variations" with the behavior active, but you can Convert To Keyframes (command-K) and manually edit them if you care to do so. (Converting will remove the behavior from your object and replace it with the actual calculated variations of the parameter.) Once the audio has been analyzed with the behavior OR you convert to keyframes, you no longer need the audio file. If you're creating a template for FCPX, the audio is not included anyway (but it IS stored in the template's Media folder so you can easily access it in FCPX.)

If this doesn't solve your problem, then I really don't know what will.

Feb 22, 2016 4:10 AM in response to fox_m

Many thanks for your detailed answer.

Yes, this is what was concerning me: I wasn't seeing any 'Analysing Audio' progress bar, and I'm still not, no matter what I do.

And looking in the keyframe editor, they're just flatlines. 😟

This is on two different machines, btw, a Mac Pro and an iMac, and with the latter I'm used to waiting for progress bars at the slightest touch of an audio behaviour, but i get nothing now.

I've tried clicking on the Amplitude/Transients menu, but nothing seems to persuade it to do the analysis, so it looks to me like something is broken in this update...

Feb 22, 2016 5:54 AM in response to TheLoneRoger

Further tinkering with this is just making things more confusing...

I have been able to make audio behaviours work in a fresh projects, and even in the problem project - but not where/how i want them.

I have been able to get 'analysing audio' progress bars, but still there didn't appear to be any actual parameter modulation.

But then I realised that i had only been working with short sections of text. When applied it to a longer section and examined the keyframes, I could see that there was no output at the beginning, then a couple of seconds of output, followed by another long flat line, then a lot of activity toward the end of the file. This is clearly not right, as the track has a very regular beat throughout...User uploaded file

Feb 22, 2016 9:49 AM in response to TheLoneRoger

Not all parameters are 1:1 value! Often, with the Audio behavior, it is necessary to ramp the Scale parameter value up by hundreds or more depending on the "linked" parameter under control (Motion maintains higher levels of precision for some parameters while displaying a more "normalized" value for control in the inspector.)

Feb 22, 2016 10:32 AM in response to fox_m

Yes, but why the flat sections? The two vertical lines represent the in and out points, and the music is playing throughout the piece with a regular beat, so surely there should be some modulation throughout?

Maybe I didn't explain it very well, but the reason i originally thought that there was no output at all, was because I was just applying it to a short bit of text at the beginning - i.e. where it's outputting a flat line. But actually, there is some output but what seems to be happening is that the analysis is only covering parts of the file.

Feb 22, 2016 11:37 AM in response to The Lone Roger

My guess would be that the analysis was interrupted some kind of way, but I would just be guessing.

What are the text parameters you are trying to control? Explain what you're going for and how you connect the audio to the parameters you are trying to change so I can go through the process and see exactly what is going on. Also, is the audio continuous? Music, speech, etc.? Quiet? Loud? MP3?

I'm going to be offline for a few hours this afternoon. I'll get back as soon as I can.

why is the audio parameter behavior not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.