Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set the imac 5k screen resolution?

Its not obvious to me how to set the iMac 5k to its maximum screen resolution. In the System Preferences, Display, I scan see scaled choices but even "More Space" does not seem to be the full resolution. I assume I don't really understand how this iMac display is better than the non 5k version.

Posted on Jun 16, 2015 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2015 9:38 AM

The iMac should by default be set to its best display resolution.

If you need more specific control over the resolutions than Apple's named settings, hold down the option/alt key when clicking on the Scaled option to get the real resolution list.

User uploaded file

As to the difference between this and the non 5K iMac. Its down to screen quality, and pixel density.

A non Retina iMac has a maximum of 2560 x 1440 pixel resolution. around 2K.

An iMac 5k goes up to 5120 by 2880, i.e the 5K resolution. Its 5K because of the amount of pixels it can display. The more pixels, the more high quality the image will appear.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2015 9:38 AM in response to mrhoni

The iMac should by default be set to its best display resolution.

If you need more specific control over the resolutions than Apple's named settings, hold down the option/alt key when clicking on the Scaled option to get the real resolution list.

User uploaded file

As to the difference between this and the non 5K iMac. Its down to screen quality, and pixel density.

A non Retina iMac has a maximum of 2560 x 1440 pixel resolution. around 2K.

An iMac 5k goes up to 5120 by 2880, i.e the 5K resolution. Its 5K because of the amount of pixels it can display. The more pixels, the more high quality the image will appear.

How to set the imac 5k screen resolution?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.