Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get my name to show on an email (my own account) instead of the name of the computer's former owner?

When I send an email to someone, the reply often shows the computer's former owner's name instead of mine. I set up my own email account with my own name when I got this computer, but this is still happening. I don't see their name on the account when I open it to edit. How do I make my name show up on the recipient's inbox?

Thank you!

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 16, 2015 10:19 AM

27 replies

Jun 16, 2015 4:51 PM in response to Csound1

I'm going to do that then. Thank you for the help. Btw, as with those other kinds of computers, this Mac has been getting slower over the time I've had it. I realize that it's going to become less functional online as the various websites 'update' their software. But even offline, it's slowing down. Will erasing the disc fix that or is there a less drastic way (aside from the obvious dumping of cache, history and so on)?

Jun 16, 2015 5:13 PM in response to Csound1

For being so old, this is a pretty powerful machine (8GB RAM) and, regardless, it used to be much faster. The slowdown has been gradual - over a period of the 4 years I've been using it. So my guess is that it's the accumulation of some kind of soft junk. On PC's they'd recommend defragmenting the hard drive, and you'd get to throw out a few hours, watching some stupid graphic of red, blue and green globs line up from a random mess into a bunch of neat rows. But that never really improved anything and I think it was just a game Microsoft invented to keep users occupied a bit longer, instead of screaming and suing them, which is what they deserved. But getting back to this, it would be nice if there were some kind of real housekeeping that could be done to keep the system young and vital - something less drastic than reformatting the hard drive. Still only having to do it once every 5 years ain't bad. And, I suppose, I really should be saving up for a new machine. It's just that this one has been so insanely reliable. And I love how well made it is...

Jun 16, 2015 5:52 PM in response to D.Macphile

On PC's they'd recommend defragmenting the hard drive, and you'd get to throw out a few hours, watching some stupid graphic of red, blue and green globs line up from a random mess into a bunch of neat rows. But that never really improved anything and I think it was just a game Microsoft invented to keep users occupied a bit longer

Yup, spent many hours trying to predict which block would be the next to be unfragged 🙂

Jun 17, 2015 8:46 AM in response to Csound1

Well, thank you again. This is all really useful and helpful info. In another life, I used to co-own a high end audiophile store. One of the things we learned is that good interlink cables (between components) were critical to getting the best sound (best transfer of audio information, in other words). Is that the reasoning behind changing the connecting cable?

Jun 17, 2015 8:55 AM in response to D.Macphile

2 reasons really, 2010 was the inception of the SATA III standard being used in MBP's, those cables were amongst the first manufactured. They are now 5 years old, 5 years spent threaded over castings and under hard drives, in an environment with quite rapid temperature variations and near constant vibration from the drive (unless it is an SSD of course). Bending warm copper traces is not a recipe for long life. I also have had personal experience of SSD's booting fine from an external source (USB) but not booting from the internal bay, a cable change has (so far) been 100% successful. You're going in there anyhow, better than opening it up and removing the drive twice. 🙂

Jun 17, 2015 8:59 AM in response to D.Macphile

D.Macphile wrote:

In another life, I used to co-own a high end audiophile store. One of the things we learned is that good interlink cables (between components) were critical to getting the best sound (best transfer of audio information, in other words). Is that the reasoning behind changing the connecting cable?

Did you ever get anyone to believe that nonsense about "skin effect" 🙂

In another life I worked ( briefly) as a contractor for Linn products, back when records were black and rotated like big slow hard drives.

How do I get my name to show on an email (my own account) instead of the name of the computer's former owner?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.