Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet Account System Preference pane unable to load

First let me say that I think?, I have looked at every post where there are issues with the Internet Accounts System Preference and none of the solutions have worked for me. This is why I am starting a new thread. After upgrading to 10.10.3 or adding a new Internet Account, not sure which happened last, I have been unable to access the IA preferences in System Preferences. I am able to access every other system preference except IA. I have reinstalled OS X and restored from Time Machine. I have reinstalled OS X and created a new account, then used migration assistant to restore. Deleted preference files and caches related to IA, suggested from other postings. Here is a snippet of the system log when I try to open the Internet Accounts preference:

6/16/15 1:27:46.548 PMcom.apple.preferences.internetaccounts.remoteservice[823]Can't open input server /Library/InputManagers/CTLoader
6/16/15 1:27:46.566 PMcom.apple.xpc.launchd[1](com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent) The _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit key is not available on this platform.
6/16/15 1:27:46.636 PMcom.apple.xpc.launchd[1](com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent) The _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit key is not available on this platform.
6/16/15 1:27:46.680 PMcom.apple.internetaccounts[824]Can't open input server /Library/InputManagers/CTLoader
6/16/15 1:27:46.735 PMcom.apple.preferences.internetaccounts.remoteservice[823]objc[823]: Class IAACAccountHelper is implemented in both /System/Library/PreferencePanes/InternetAccounts.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/Intern etAccounts and /System/Library/InternetAccounts/Google.iaplugin/Contents/MacOS/Google. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
6/16/15 1:27:47.181 PMcom.apple.internetaccounts[824]Additional Logging , array retured in signedInAccounts is (

"<IAAccount: 0x600000051bb0> -- uid: 4C3EBCF1-DCCB-4185-B209-AB09D1425AEF; loginName: xxxxxx@me.com; provider: com.apple.account.icloud; parent: (null)\n\taccount ID: xxxxxx@me.com - com.apple.account.icloud - \n\tprovider attrs: {\n IADSIDKey = 1089131411;\n accountDescription = \"xxxxxx@me.com\";\n \"com.apple.InternetAccounts.loginName\" = \"xxxxxx@me.com\";\n \"com.apple.InternetAccounts.provider\" = \"com.apple.account.icloud\";\n fullName = \"xxxxxx@me.com\";\n}",

"<IAAccount: 0x618000049f30> -- uid: 30E845B0-5475-4B19-A540-DF131722FCBA; loginName: xxxxxx@xxxx.com; provider: com.apple.account.icloud; parent: (null)\n\taccount ID: xxxxxx@xxxx.com - com.apple.account.icloud - \n\tprovider attrs: {\n IADSIDKey = 10462808;\n accountDescription = iCloud;\n \"com.apple.InternetAccounts.loginName\" = \"xxxxxx@xxxx.com\";\n \"com.apple.InternetAccounts.provider\" = \"com.apple.account.icloud\";\n fullName = iCloud;\n}"

)

6/16/15 1:27:47.000 PMkernel[0]hfs: mounted Adobe Audition CC 2015 on device disk2s2
6/16/15 1:27:47.421 PMTMHelperAgent[838]Can't open input server /Library/InputManagers/CTLoader
6/16/15 1:27:47.558 PMcloudd[354]Failed to create dir at /Users/USER/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/*/Assets: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 "You don’t have permission to save the file “Assets” in the folder “CloudKit”." UserInfo=0x7fbac57e25b0 {NSFilePath=/Users/xxxxxx/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Cache s/CloudKit/Assets, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fbac572e0b0 "The operation couldn’t be completed. Operation not permitted"}
6/16/15 1:27:47.581 PMcloudd[354]Failed to create dir at /Users/USER/Library/Containers/com.apple.Preview/*/Assets: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 "You don’t have permission to save the file “Assets” in the folder “CloudKit”." UserInfo=0x7fbac57ca960 {NSFilePath=/Users/xxxxxx/Library/Containers/com.apple.Preview/Data/Library/Cac hes/CloudKit/Assets, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fbac575ba90 "The operation couldn’t be completed. Operation not permitted"}
6/16/15 1:27:47.596 PMcloudd[354]Failed to create dir at /Users/USER/Library/Containers/com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX/*/Assets: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 "You don’t have permission to save the file “Assets” in the folder “CloudKit”." UserInfo=0x7fbac54166a0 {NSFilePath=/Users/xxxxxx/Library/Containers/com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX/Data/Li brary/Caches/CloudKit/Assets, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fbac546c6e0 "The operation couldn’t be completed. Operation not permitted"}
6/16/15 1:27:47.609 PMsandboxd[376]([354]) cloudd(354) deny file-write-create /Users/xxxxxx/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Caches
6/16/15 1:27:47.621 PMcloudd[354]Failed to create dir at /Users/USER/Library/Containers/com.apple.TextEdit/*/Assets: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 "You don’t have permission to save the file “Assets” in the folder “CloudKit”." UserInfo=0x7fbac54b9e40 {NSFilePath=/Users/xxxxxx/Library/Containers/com.apple.TextEdit/Data/Library/Ca ches/CloudKit/Assets, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fbac544ef80 "The operation couldn’t be completed. Operation not permitted"}
6/16/15 1:27:47.642 PMcloudd[354]Failed to create dir at /Users/USER/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/*/Assets: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 "You don’t have permission to save the file “Assets” in the folder “CloudKit”." UserInfo=0x7fbac2f49700 {NSFilePath=/Users/xxxxxx/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Caches /CloudKit/Assets, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fbac55c67b0 "The operation couldn’t be completed. Operation not permitted"}
6/16/15 1:27:47.664 PMsandboxd[376]([354]) cloudd(354) deny file-write-create /Users/xxxxxx/Library/Containers/com.apple.Preview/Data/Library/Caches
6/16/15 1:27:47.731 PMsandboxd[376]([354]) cloudd(354) deny file-write-create /Users/xxxxxx/Library/Containers/com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX/Data/Library/Caches
6/16/15 1:27:47.787 PMsandboxd[376]([354]) cloudd(354) deny file-write-create /Users/xxxxxx/Library/Containers/com.apple.TextEdit/Data/Library/Caches
6/16/15 1:27:47.842 PMsandboxd[376]([354]) cloudd(354) deny file-write-create /Users/xxxxxx/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Caches
6/16/15 1:27:47.923 PMcom.apple.internetaccounts[824]Adding listener
6/16/15 1:27:47.923 PMcom.apple.internetaccounts[824]Returning accountUIDs: (

)

6/16/15 1:27:47.957 PMcom.apple.internetaccounts[824][Warning] IMAccount: 0x7fbbf9d16630 [ID: 67CEF70A-33FC-4DB5-B659-5831A1FCFB49 Service: IMService[Jabber] Login: xxxxxx@gmail.com Active: NO LoginStatus: Offline]: Couldn't load service icon from (null)
6/16/15 1:27:47.958 PMcom.apple.internetaccounts[824][Warning] IMAccount: 0x7fbbf9d16630 [ID: 67CEF70A-33FC-4DB5-B659-5831A1FCFB49 Service: IMService[Jabber] Login: xxxxxx@gmail.com Active: NO LoginStatus: Offline]: Couldn't load service icon from (null)
6/16/15 1:27:48.163 PMaccountsd[370]Enter ShareKitAccountEnabler - didChangeWithType - type=2 for account xxxxxx@xxxx.com (30E845B0-5475-4B19-A540-DF131722FCBA).
6/16/15 1:27:48.164 PMaccountsd[370]AIDA Notification plugin running
6/16/15 1:27:48.288 PMicbaccountsd[848]Connection error while checking Apple Internalness. Error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4099 "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application." (The connection to service named com.apple.CrashReporterSupportHelper was invalidated.) UserInfo=0x7f85584021c0 {NSDebugDescription=The connection to service named com.apple.CrashReporterSupportHelper was invalidated.}
6/16/15 1:27:48.292 PMsandboxd[376]([848]) icbaccountsd(848) deny mach-lookup com.apple.CrashReporterSupportHelper
6/16/15 1:27:49.589 PMSetup[850]WARNING: The Gestalt selector gestaltSystemVersion is returning 10.9.3 instead of 10.10.3. Use NSProcessInfo's operatingSystemVersion property to get correct system version number.

Call location:

6/16/15 1:27:49.589 PMSetup[850]0 CarbonCore 0x99c5e291 ___Gestalt_SystemVersion_block_invoke + 135
6/16/15 1:27:49.590 PMSetup[850]1 libdispatch.dylib 0x93bcc0b5 dispatch_once_f + 251
6/16/15 1:27:49.590 PMSetup[850]2 libdispatch.dylib 0x93bcd0d8 dispatch_once + 31
6/16/15 1:27:49.590 PMSetup[850]3 CarbonCore 0x99bd769d _Gestalt_SystemVersion + 1050
6/16/15 1:27:49.590 PMSetup[850]4 CarbonCore 0x99bd67c0 Gestalt + 150
6/16/15 1:27:49.590 PMSetup[850]5 Setup.dylib 0x020723ee DeploymentEngineMain + 387007
6/16/15 1:27:49.590 PMSetup[850]6 Setup.dylib 0x02028f95 DeploymentEngineMain + 86886
6/16/15 1:27:58.632 PMcom.apple.xpc.launchd[1](com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent) The _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit key is not available on this platform.
6/16/15 1:28:03.000 PMkernel[0]Google Chrome He (map: 0xffffff804d0f2870) triggered DYLD shared region unnest for map: 0xffffff804d0f2870, region 0x7fff90c00000->0x7fff90e00000. While not abnormal for debuggers, this increases system memory footprint until the target exits.
6/16/15 1:28:07.106 PMSystem Preferences[783]### com.apple.preferences.internetaccounts instantiatePrefPaneObject exception:service com.apple.preferences.internetaccounts.remoteservice failed to init an instance of InternetAccountsRemoteViewService on behalf of <NSRemoteView: 0x7fc081744040> due to proxy-communications-error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4099 "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application." (The connection from pid 0 was invalidated from this process.) UserInfo=0x60000046e800 {NSDebugDescription=The connection from pid 0 was invalidated from this process.}

This results in a "Preferences Error: Could not load Internet Accounts preference pane."

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Posted on Jun 16, 2015 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2015 4:41 PM

There may be other issues, but you must fix at least the following.

A

Some of your user files (not system files) have incorrect permissions or are locked. This procedure will unlock those files and reset their ownership, permissions, and access controls to the default. If you've intentionally set special values for those attributes, they will be reverted. In that case, either stop here, or be prepared to recreate the settings if necessary. Do so only after verifying that those settings didn't cause the problem. If none of this is meaningful to you, you don't need to worry about it, but you do need to follow the instructions below.

Back up all data before proceeding.

Step 1

If you have more than one user, and the one in question is not an administrator, then go to Step 2.

Enter the following command in the Terminal window in the same way as before (triple-click, copy, and paste):

sudo find ~ $TMPDIR.. -exec chflags -h nouchg,nouappnd,noschg,nosappnd {} + -exec chown -h $UID {} + -exec chmod +rw {} + -exec chmod -h -N {} + -type d -exec chmod -h +x {} + 2>&-

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

The command may take several minutes to run, depending on how many files you have. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear, then quit Terminal.

Step 2 (optional)

Take this step only if you have trouble with Step 1, if you prefer not to take it, or if it doesn't solve the problem.

Start up in Recovery mode. When the OS X Utilities screen appears, select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar. A Terminal window will open. In that window, type this:

resetp

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

resetpassword

Press return. A Reset Password window will open. You’re not going to reset a password.

Select your startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Under Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, click the Reset button.

Select

Restart

from the menu bar.

B

You installed the "Conduit" malware. Please take the steps below to remove it.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Application Support/Conduit

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. From the Finder menu bar, select

Go Go to Folder…

Paste into the box that opens (command-V), then press return. A Finder window should open with a folder named "Conduit" selected. If it does, delete the selected item.

Repeat with these lines:

~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ConduitNPAPIPlugin.plugin /Applications/Toolbars

You may be prompted for your login password. Next, copy this line:

/Library

Select Go to Folder… again and paste. Don't delete the Library folder. Delete only the following items inside it, if they exist.

Application Support/Conduit

InputManagers/CTLoader

LaunchAgents/com.conduit.loader.agent.plist

ScriptingAdditions/ct_scripting.osax

Close the Finder windows you opened. Log out and log back in.

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Extensions

Remove any extensions with the word "Conduit" in the description, and any others you don't know you need. If in doubt, remove all of them.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2015 4:41 PM in response to Bob Shumovich

There may be other issues, but you must fix at least the following.

A

Some of your user files (not system files) have incorrect permissions or are locked. This procedure will unlock those files and reset their ownership, permissions, and access controls to the default. If you've intentionally set special values for those attributes, they will be reverted. In that case, either stop here, or be prepared to recreate the settings if necessary. Do so only after verifying that those settings didn't cause the problem. If none of this is meaningful to you, you don't need to worry about it, but you do need to follow the instructions below.

Step 1

If you have more than one user, and the one in question is not an administrator, then go to Step 2.

Enter the following command in the Terminal window in the same way as before (triple-click, copy, and paste):

sudo find ~ $TMPDIR.. -exec chflags -h nouchg,nouappnd,noschg,nosappnd {} + -exec chown -h $UID {} + -exec chmod +rw {} + -exec chmod -h -N {} + -type d -exec chmod -h +x {} + 2>&-

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

The command may take several minutes to run, depending on how many files you have. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear, then quit Terminal.

Step 2 (optional)

Take this step only if you have trouble with Step 1, if you prefer not to take it, or if it doesn't solve the problem.

Start up in Recovery mode. When the OS X Utilities screen appears, select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar. A Terminal window will open. In that window, type this:

resetp

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

resetpassword

Press return. A Reset Password window will open. You’re not going to reset a password.

Select your startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Under Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, click the Reset button.

Select

Restart

from the menu bar.

B

You installed the "Conduit" malware. Please take the steps below to remove it.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Application Support/Conduit

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. From the Finder menu bar, select

Go Go to Folder…

Paste into the box that opens (command-V), then press return. A Finder window should open with a folder named "Conduit" selected. If it does, delete the selected item.

Repeat with these lines:

~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ConduitNPAPIPlugin.plugin /Applications/Toolbars

You may be prompted for your login password. Next, copy this line:

/Library

Select Go to Folder… again and paste. Don't delete the Library folder. Delete only the following items inside it, if they exist.

Application Support/Conduit

InputManagers/CTLoader

LaunchAgents/com.conduit.loader.agent.plist

ScriptingAdditions/ct_scripting.osax

Close the Finder windows you opened. Log out and log back in.

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Extensions

Remove any extensions with the word "Conduit" in the description, and any others you don't know you need. If in doubt, remove all of them.

Jun 22, 2015 10:40 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc, Thank you fro the reply. I tried your suggestions without success. I ran the first Terminal command in your reply and it resulted in "UID: User Undefined". The rest of the steps ran but I'm still unable to load the Internet Accounts preference pane. I created a new account and I can access IA preferences from that account, so it's obviously something specific to my account. I think I will resort to moving my data to a new account. One last questions:

Is it possible to restore my user data from time machine, but not restore the Internet Accounts preferences? I can recreate them after.

Thanks again and keep up the good work!

Jun 23, 2015 5:03 AM in response to Linc Davis

I installed OS X 10.10 (from 10.6) on my Mac Mini. When I started Apple Mail it said "Upgrading data" and soon quit. After deleting a number of preferences list files it eventually finished its "upgrade" and got to the "Add Account" stage. I entered the (old) Mail account information and got an "That account already exists" message.

I opened the Internet Accounts settings and deleted the (old) account. When I tried to add it back, I got the "Duplicate account" message. I deleted a number of PLIST files, resulting in "Unable to open Internet Accounts preferences pane." I continued to delete more files to no avail. Eventually I made the computer unusable, forcing a re-install from the CMD-R startup recovery utility. Still no mail.

After a lot of searching I found the post suggesting a file permissions change. I didn't know about the Terminal option, so the information was essential to getting my Mac working again.

I did both steps (command line and recovery utility). I was then able to delete the old Internet account, add it back in, log in, and get Mail working perfectly.

I would emphasize using the recovery utility "Reset permissions and ACLs" at the first sign of Mail trouble. It's very useful to learn about (or remind yourself about) the Command-R startup -- the recovery disk tools are extremely useful (essential).

Jun 24, 2015 10:04 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc, my apologies! I ran Step A1 and that resulted in "UID: Undefined Variable" , not "UID: User Undefined" as I posted earlier. I also did Step A2 to reset the ACL and Permissions and It appeared to have run, but their is no indication the task completed. I left the mac alone for 20 minutes in order to give it time to seemingly complete. IA preference pane is still unable to load.

Thanks again Linc, any other suggestions are welcomed.

Jun 24, 2015 11:21 AM in response to Bob Shumovich

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Preferences/MobileMeAccounts.plist

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. Log out or restart the computer and empty the Trash.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Internet Account System Preference pane unable to load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.