Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Airport Extreme work with a satelite modem?

Hi All,

I have read that some people cannot get Airport Extreme to connect to the internet when routing a satellite modem - has anyone heard of or experienced this?

(I don't want to order Airport Extreme to find out it doesn't work at all with a satellite modem!!! - I have a Hughes HN9200 modem connected to satellite broadband currently using an old non Apple router).

Thanks

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jun 17, 2015 2:42 AM

10 replies

Jun 17, 2017 1:32 AM in response to LaPastenague

I know this is exactly 2 years old, but here goes ...

We have had Airport linked to a satellite modem for a while now, and it is very frustrating. Sometimes it works well but at other times it doesn't. The Air Port Utility shows that the Air Port is operating and connected (green light) but the internet is disconnected (yellow light). How can this be?

Jun 17, 2017 7:13 AM in response to CJ362

the green light in the airport and in util is now that the airport express has internet connection it's that the airport is communicating well with the model, my fiber modem have had psu issues several times and all of those the airport express believe everything is peachy and display green across the lines, but that don't mean the internet is working.

Jun 17, 2017 3:30 PM in response to CJ362

The Air Port Utility shows that the Air Port is operating and connected (green light) but the internet is disconnected (yellow light). How can this be?

Easy.. the satellite modem passes an IP to the airport.. but the modem is also a router.. that is why we need full details.

It is also because you did not change the IP setup.. please do what I recommended above.. change to 192.168.x.x and most of the time that will fix things up .. albeit you will get a double NAT warning about which you can do nothing at all.

Jun 17, 2017 4:32 PM in response to Bob Timmons

The make of the modem is just NBN which is the Australian publicly-owned broadband supplier. It doesn't seem to have a model number. So the modem was not purchased from a store - it was installed by the NBN people when they fitted the satellite dish to the roof of the house.

The model number of the Airport Extreme is A1354.

On my Mac, the operating system is OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6.

I have troubleshot up hill and down dale. Spoken at length to Mac support on two occasions, likewise the satellite ISP (Skymesh). At one point I was instructed to reset the Airport and I did so and that fixed everything. But later the problem returned. There is nothing wrong with the Airport because it works fine in a non-satellite situation. In fact, it is working fine now - that is, I am receiving and sending these messages via satellite modem and Airport with no problems. On the Airport Utility I have two green lights. But the problem will return. Does it have something to do with the signal from the satellite not being continuous? I ask this because yesterday, when it did not work, I connected directly by wire to the modem and every now and then the browser would inform me that I was not connected to the internet, but a second or two later I was connected again. The problem with the Airport seems to be that once it goes down it stays down.

Jun 17, 2017 5:55 PM in response to CJ362

One thing that you may not have considered......

An AirPort Extreme A1354 is at least 6+ years old, and almost 8 depending on when it placed into service. The average useful life of a router designed for home use is about 5 years.

Loss of connection is a common issue as the power supply ages and heads downhill. The connection drops will increase in frequency as the router ages, so you will notice that you are restarting the router more frequently to bring it back online.

Jun 17, 2017 6:14 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Part of my post was not included for some reason, so this is in addition to the previous post.

However......If the AirPort performs well with another modem or router, then it's hard not to suspect the satellite modem as the culprit, especially if you are losing connections with a computer connected directly to the modem.

AirPorts are picky. If they lose an Internet connection you almost always have to restart the AirPort to get the connection back up and running. I don't know of another router brand that is good about reconnecting automatically, but another user might have a suggestion in that regard.

Jun 17, 2017 8:40 PM in response to Bob Timmons

If they lose an Internet connection you almost always have to restart the AirPort to get the connection back up and running.

As you said Bob.. most modems with router or modem router combos have issues when internet drops out. It is not specific to the airport. Much of the problem is what authentication method is used.. PPPOE for example tends to be poor on the airports.. but as a method of connection is far superior because the link status is always known to the router..

A normal cable or fibre system using IPOE or DHCP a drop out can occur but is unable to be fixed by the router since the lease renewal has some problem and the old lease is simply kept even if it does not work.

To CJ362

The model number of the Airport Extreme is A1354.

This is too old.. replace it as Bob suggested. It can be worked on .. eg purchase a new power supply for it.. but in the end the technology is just too old. And the newest available Gen 6 airport extreme is also well past its useby date.. it might really be time to get a superior router like Asus.

Jun 17, 2015 3:30 AM in response to F2000AGUSTA

It is not a case of yes or no..

It will depend on your satellite provider..

Let me guess.. you are getting a 10.x.x.x address .. in other words you are not provided with public accessible IP.. and the Airport will work in double NAT with the follow proviso.. you must move it to 192.168.. if the WAN ip is as above.. generally it will then work.. but no router will work 100% because the satellite ISP do not provision their customers with fully routable IP.

Does Airport Extreme work with a satelite modem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.