Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages app deletes attachments instantly or never downloads them

After updating to iOS 8.3, Messages app has behaved erratically with attachments. The following things have happened within a short time:

- I have received two contact cards as iMessages. Both showed up as icons in Messages, but refused to open and after a while, only displayed question marks.

- I have received photos, which show up on the lock screen with a preview, but when swipe into Messages app, they only show up as "Downloading 100%" After a while these get replaced by question marks as well.

In Settings app, "Keep Messages" is set to "Forever". MMS messaging is set to "On", iMessage is set to "On". I have plenty of disk space and my internet connection is working properly and at 100 Mb, pretty fast.

So, I'm guessing bug. Anyone else have this problem? Googling revealed nothing.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3, 16GB

Posted on Jun 17, 2015 7:53 AM

11 replies

Jun 18, 2015 12:04 PM in response to AmishCake

AmishCake, I appreciate your trying to help, but as I explained earlier, the attachments are there, downloaded and complete, they just aren't linked properly to show up in the thread. This isn't a space issue. It's a bug in Messages app.

I say disk space whether it's solid state or actual platter drive because otherwise some people will think I'm talking about ram. My internet connection is 100 Mb. That means it is max device capability, whatever the device, so the exact number is irrelevant.

Messages app deletes attachments instantly or never downloads them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.