Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Apple Music work with Sonos Speakers

I have a Sonos Music system through out my home. I would get Apple Music when it comes out at the end of this month, but only if it works with my work with my Sonos Speakers as does Spotify.

Apple Music-OTHER

Posted on Jun 17, 2015 9:51 AM

26 replies

Jun 17, 2015 10:03 AM in response to Peter in Palmdale

You have to be able to select as one of the service offered in the Sonos menu Spotify is one of the services offered. But to my understanding Apple will not allow the Apple Music service to be available to Sonos per Sonos website. This will create a large problem to people who have the Sonos music system and would like to switch from Spotify.

Jun 17, 2015 10:21 AM in response to Peter in Palmdale

No, you can select the current device in the Sonos App to stream music from, It does not need to be a service. and it does go through the application, since the music is stored there.

http://www.sonos.com/documents/productguides/en/SetupGuide_EN.pdf

Wireless iTunes playback from iOS devices

You can select and play music and podcasts stored on any iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch that’s on the same network as your Sonos system. Playback is perfectly synchronized, in any or every room of your home. Simply choose This iPad, This iPhone, or This iPod touch from the Sonos app on your iOS device to make audio selections and then you can use any Sonos controller to control playback.

Wireless playback requires Sonos Controller App for iPhone or iPad version 3.8.3 or higher and devices running iOS software version 6.0 or later.

since Apple Music will be accessible from inside the Music App, the Sonos app should be able to play it out just like it does the music library, and currently iTunes Radio form there as well.

Jun 17, 2015 10:19 AM in response to Peter in Palmdale

Peter in Palmdale wrote:

Yes iTunes works only because you go to the Sonos Application and select Music on this iPad or iPhone and it looks for music on the device. It does not go through the iTunes application.

It gets the music from the iTunes library using iTunes system calls, if Apple allows access to 3rd parties (or is allowed to) I imagine that would not change.

Jun 17, 2015 10:35 AM in response to Phil0124

I understand what you are saying, but Apple's new streaming service Apple Music has to be available in the Sonos Application. When playing music in the Sonos system from your Ipad or iPhone it only looks for the Music files and that is how it works. Streaming Services have to be places within the Sonos Application and Sonos has said on Sonos website that apple to this date has not approved them to do that.

Jun 17, 2015 10:55 AM in response to Peter in Palmdale

Peter in Palmdale wrote:

I understand what you are saying, but Apple's new streaming service Apple Music has to be available in the Sonos Application. When playing music in the Sonos system from your Ipad or iPhone it only looks for the Music files and that is how it works. Streaming Services have to be places within the Sonos Application and Sonos has said on Sonos website that apple to this date has not approved them to do that.

Can you post a link to that please, i'd like to read it.

Can you stream iTunes Radio currently from the Music App to your Sonos system?

Jun 17, 2015 12:12 PM in response to Phil0124

No you can not stream iTunes radio and here is the link you request.

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/so-any-discussions-with-apple-about-apple-mus ic

A work around is using Air Play with a Airport Express to each speaker but not that great of a solution. When Apple just needs to allow them to connect the Apple Service to the Sonos System.

Jun 17, 2015 12:57 PM in response to Peter in Palmdale

Ahh, interesting. Thanks for the link. It Appears that while Airplay may work, Apple need to offer Apple Music as a service for songs to be able to use it in its high quality setup directly.

It appears, Sonos needs to lobby Apple to make it available in their servicer list. It may not be available at launch, but maybe it will be integrated later down the line.

Jun 18, 2015 1:14 AM in response to Peter in Palmdale

It will definitely not be possible to stream apple music on your songs speakers at launch. But what I've been wondering for the past few days is whether it will be possible to play the songs, albums, playlist, etc. saved for offline listening on sonos speakers. Apple allows you to save up to 100,000 songs for offline listening and if I understand it correctly, they will be saved locally on your iPhone. So if you choose "this iPhone" in the sonos app, then I assume you will be able to choose from the content downloaded from apple music. What do you think?

Jul 1, 2015 7:42 AM in response to Peter in Palmdale

Well I've just tried to play on my SONOS a song I've download on #applemusic and well ... it seems that there is some DRM preventing me from playing loud some song that I've on my iPhone/iPad .... So if it's really a right restricted policy and not a some misunderstanding from myself, I'm considering giving away my 9$ monthly fee away to Apple

Will Apple Music work with Sonos Speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.