Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trouble with mail 4.6

Mail 4.6 keeps refusing to connect to the gmail or comcast servers, although it does connect to the ameritech server. Both gmail and comcast are working. I think the program is somehow corrupted. Where can I get a download of Mail 4.6 to reinstall? Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 17, 2015 12:37 PM

12 replies

Jun 17, 2015 12:40 PM in response to dcpamdla

You cannot download components of OS X. You will need to reinstall Snow Leopard using the DVD that came with the computer. Afterwards you can update to 10.6.8.

Reinstall OS X without erasing the drive

1. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions

Boot from your Snow Leopard Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer.

If DU reports errors it cannot fix, then you will need Disk Warrior and/or Tech Tool Pro to repair the drive. If you don't have either of them or if neither of them can fix the drive, then you will need to reformat the drive and reinstall OS X.

2. Reinstall Snow Leopard

If the drive is OK then quit DU and return to the installer. Proceed with reinstalling OS X. Note that the Snow Leopard installer will not erase your drive or disturb your files. After installing a fresh copy of OS X the installer will move your Home folder, third-party applications, support items, and network preferences into the newly installed system.

Download and install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1.

Jun 17, 2015 3:13 PM in response to dcpamdla

OK, suddenly Mail updated to 4.6, but it still won't connect to gmail or comcast. . .I can't send or receive emails from Mail. Mail has become increasingly erratic over the last several months, sometimes hanging and refusing to allow me to shut down, but this problem is new. . .and very frustrating. I have checked all the account data and it is correct. Are there any other things to try? Thanks.

Feb 6, 2016 2:00 PM in response to dcpamdla

Hallo.

I too have had to abandon Apple Mail and use gmail, which works well but is a 'clunky' set-up.

Running OS X10.6.4 on a 27" iMac desktop I have a Mail (version 4.6) app listed: when I try to open it, it says that it has to first download existing mail and then hangs forever. Cancelling puts one back to the same beginning and it hangs again & again making zero progress towards setting up a normal Apple Mail routine.

So how do I get Mail to work in OS X Snow Leopard please?

M

Feb 7, 2016 4:43 AM in response to Bigglesfela

In some desperation I bought a new set of OS X Snow leopard discs and tried a new install.

I now have a Mail application showing. But I get a message ...

Welcome to Mail

To use the new features in Mail, your existing Mail messages need to be imported into the new version the first time you use Mail. This might take a few minutes....

A couple of hours later "preparing to import messages" is still showing and there is ZERO progress.

How do I get Mail back in working order please?

Feb 7, 2016 10:11 AM in response to Bigglesfela

If you don't need any of the data currently stored in your Mail.app, then I would erase/relocate the Mail app prefs/data then launch Mail and resetup your accounts.

First: Quit Mail app

Next: From the Finder's Go menu, choose Go To Folder and enter: ~/Library

User uploaded file

Move the Mail folder to your desktop

Open the Preferences folder and move this file to your Desktop: com.apple.mail.plist

Now you can open Mail.app and do the setup from scratch.

The following guide explains how to best configure Mail app for GMail

http://blog.davekoelmeyer.co.nz/2013/11/16/configure-apple-mail-4-6-with-gmail/

Hope that helps.

Jeff

Mar 31, 2016 5:27 AM in response to Bigglesfela

Bigglesfela wrote:

How do I get Mail back in working order please?

I am running OS X El Capitan 10.11.4 on a desktop iMac 27".

My apple Mail is a shambles.

Has Tiscali - my longtime email provider - but now owned by TalkTalk, given up on POP3 and moved wholly to IMAP?

Bigglesfela

Since this is the Snow Leopard forum, and you are running El Capitan, I suggest you post your Mail problems, with a full description of what they are in the El Capitan forum.

trouble with mail 4.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.