Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

various websites keep advising to upgrade browser. Is it necessary? I have an IMac version 10.6.8 it necessary. I have an IMac it necessary?

I have an IMac Snow Leopard version 10.6.8. Various web sites keep informing me to upgrade the browser as it is no longer supported. Is it necessary for security reasons?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), new problem

Posted on Jun 17, 2015 1:37 PM

3 replies

Jun 17, 2015 1:45 PM in response to too busy

Security Fixes and improvements are one of the reasons browsers are updated, so always keeping your Browser up to date is a good idea. Older browsers may not have had a security fix and as such may have vulnerabilities that were fixed in updates.

To update Safari you would need to update OSx. Depending on your exact model of Mac you may be abel to update to Lion, or all the way to Yosemite. Lion would be $19.99 from the Apple Online store, while Yosemite is Free in the Mac App Store App

various websites keep advising to upgrade browser. Is it necessary? I have an IMac version 10.6.8 it necessary. I have an IMac it necessary?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.