Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to access Apple TV menu

Hello. When I switch my TV input from TV to HDMI1 the Apple logo appears on the screen but I am unable to access the Menu. When I press the Menu button nothing happens. The Apple TV light is blinking steadily about once per second.

I have tried the Restart procedure using Menu and I believe the Down button simultaneously.

Hope someone can help me with this. Not sure why it has happened as it had been working previously.

Thanks.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Lacie 500 GB HD

Posted on Jun 17, 2015 7:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2015 8:07 PM

You need to restore

Restore your Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation) - Apple Support

10 replies

Jun 20, 2015 10:36 AM in response to vazandrew

I did the restore using iTunes and now I have the menu however I am still having trouble. I get the error message saying 'Account Sign In Failed, Apple TV can't sign in to the iTunes Store until the Network Time has been set--Please try later' It doesnt give me any options other than 'OK'.

I have set the proper Time Zone in the settings, I have checked my Apple ID and my Password but still having problems. Hope you can help me on this or would you suggest I start a new thread on this particular problem? Thanks for your help.

Jun 20, 2015 9:29 PM in response to vazandrew

Would rather not go the ethernet route at the moment as it involves a LOT of extra work bringing the TV upstairs etc. I have managed to get through the password stage and to the point where it says ACTIVATING, setting date and time, with a spinning wheel showing. However it seems to be taking a very long time and nothing appears to be happening, unless that process is very time consuming. I will leave it 'Activiating' this evening and try again tomorrow

and get back to you.

Thanks very much for your time and effort.

Jun 20, 2015 9:34 PM in response to whiskey sour

No, that process won't take long at all. It is currently stuck because it is not properly connected to your network. Using ethernet will help rule out a wifi issue. If the router and Apple TV are on different floors that is going to create issues.

You can also see the current status of your network by getting a report from istumbler, netstumbler or similar. Look for signal strength, noise, nearby networks.

Jun 20, 2015 10:00 PM in response to vazandrew

The menu was showing 5 bars for the wifi signal so it would appear to be getting the signal from the router okay even if it is on a different floor.

We have previously had no trouble using ATV for Netflix from the same location so different floors is not the problem. I will eventually try

ethernet but I am worn out at the moment. I will get back to you later. Thanks again.

Jun 21, 2015 8:27 AM in response to whiskey sour

The signal shown on the device won't account for any issues, you will need a network report to see an accurate representation. Having them on different floors leaves a lot of room for things like interference, these things can come up at any time. You can also go ahead with Ethernet or test on a different network (preferably a controlled one like Apple's)

Unable to access Apple TV menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.