Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable Tiger Authentication

Hi All,

Recently I switched back to 10.4.11, and all is fine bar the following niggle: the system constantly force me to authenticate, and in practice this interrupts my work every time I want to move or save a file, or access a folder. Is there a way to disable this OS terror ??? I used Tiger for many years up to 2012 and don't recall this nightmare.

Btw, I am the only user and administrator, and my automatic log in is turned On.

Thank you in advance for the help.

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 15' 1.67GHz PPC G4, 1 GB SDRAM

Posted on Jun 18, 2015 3:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2015 7:12 AM

File permissions are the big bane of OSX. I only have to authenticate when I am trying to do something in another user account from this one. I suspect your problems originate from how you set up the account and restored files after reverting to Tiger OS. You might be able to get info on a few top level folders that contain your data only and set access permissions on them in Finder Get Info, saying to apply to all enclosed. Be careful in doing this because some items used by applications and the system need special permissions settings.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2015 7:12 AM in response to I.I.

File permissions are the big bane of OSX. I only have to authenticate when I am trying to do something in another user account from this one. I suspect your problems originate from how you set up the account and restored files after reverting to Tiger OS. You might be able to get info on a few top level folders that contain your data only and set access permissions on them in Finder Get Info, saying to apply to all enclosed. Be careful in doing this because some items used by applications and the system need special permissions settings.

Jun 18, 2015 3:53 PM in response to I.I.

Seeing the authenticate dialog when saving files is not normal.

You may be trying to save into a location that your user does not have permission for. OS X gives you the Home folder for all your personal files. The /Users/Shared folder is designed for files that all users can access. Anywhere outside those locations on the system disk is not intended for your personal files.

The root of the system disk is not intended for your work, if you want to use that location to save you must edit the permissions accordingly, however you want to avoid editing all Apple system folders.

Please report where you are saving files, that will dictate if and how you can repair permissions to fix the issue (there are at least 2 ways to repair permissions in the GUI).

Jun 19, 2015 7:41 AM in response to I.I.

There should be an "Apply to enclosed items..." which I believe should recursively work through enclosed folders. I rarely see this message you are seeing, and as others have observed too, it isn't normal.

Disk Utility's permissions repair only works on standard system and application files and folders, not regular user files.

Related topic with suggestions: Change Permissions Of All Files/Folders At Once?

Disable Tiger Authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.