Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sleep not working

Macbook Pro 2015 13" w/ Retina

OS 10.10.3 Yosemiti

16GB

2.7 i5

So I have had my Macbook for about a month now. My problem is when I sometimes close my lid and a few hours later I go to open the lid and resume where I left off my laptop is off. I press the power button and the system reboots and tells me the system shut off unexpectedly. This happens if my laptop is on battery or plugged in. I was also seeing where the same issue would occur where I would open the lid and it would show my user login screen. I would log in and then my system would just freeze. I could see notifications coming in but could not do anything on the system. I would be forced to do a hard reboot of my system and start over. I went to the Genius Bar and one of the guys there had me change the Sleep option on my SSD. He had me uncheck the option in Energy Saver for "Put Hard Disk to Sleep When Possible". He said he had this same issue with his new Macbook and it fixed it for him. I tried this for a few days and it did not fix the issue. I read on some other forums about a Sudo option in Terminal disabled something to do with sleep. I forget what the option was and I tried it. It seemed to have fixed the issue with the system locking up at the Login screen. Now the issue is with the system just shutting off unexpectedly. I had an older Macbook Pro and never had this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Scott

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jun 18, 2015 5:28 AM

2 replies

Jun 18, 2015 6:30 AM in response to smicale

Step 1

Take all the applicable steps in this support article. That's the starting point for any further efforts to solve the problem. Please read the whole article carefully and don't skip any of the steps, including the ones under the heading Learn more. If you don't understand any of the steps, ask for guidance.

Also note that if you replaced the internal hard drive with an SSD, or if you're starting up from an external SSD, then that device may be causing the problem. Check the SSD manufacturer's website for a firmware update. The only solution may be to reinstall the original drive or avoid sleep altogether.

Step 2

If you're running OS X 10.8.5 or earlier, from the menu bar select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Accessibility

If the checkbox at the bottom marked

Enable access for assistive devices

is checked, uncheck it and test.

If you're running OS X 10.9 or later, select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Security & Privacy ▹ Privacy ▹ Accessibility

If any applications are listed on the right and have a checked box next to them, uncheck all the boxes and test. You may first have to click the padlock icon in the lower left corner of the window and authenticate as an administrator to unlock the settings.

Step 3

In the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences, uncheck the box marked

Put hard disks to sleep when possible

Step 4

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data, then reinstall the OS.* You don't need to erase the startup volume, and you won't need the backup unless something goes wrong. If the system was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you may need the Apple ID and password you used.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it. The same goes for Xcode. All other data will be preserved.

*The linked support article refers to OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite"), but the procedure is the same for OS X 10.7 ("Lion") and later.

Step 5

This and the next step must be taken as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

In the Console window, select

DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION Diagnostic and Usage Messages

In the search box in the window's toolbar, enter "powerd" (without the quotes.)

You may see one or more lines like this:

com.apple.message.signature: Platform Failure

If you do see that, and you did everything in the preceeding steps, then you're dealing with an internal hardware fault. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

Step 6

In the Console window, select

DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION System Diagnostic Reports

(not Diagnostic and Usage Messages) from the log list on the left. If you don't see that heading, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

There is a disclosure triangle to the left of the list item. If the triangle is pointing to the right, click it so that it points down.

You may see one or more reports with a name that begins with "Kernel" or "Sleep Wake Failure" followed by a date. Select the most recent one. The contents of the report will appear on the right. Use copy and paste to post the entire contents—the text, not a screenshot.

I know the report is long, maybe several hundred lines. Please post all of it anyway.

Sleep not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.