Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I upgrade memory from 8gb to 12gb?

I have a late 2013 27" iMac with 8 gb of memory. can I upgrade this to 12 gb, or must it be 16gb?

iPhone 3GS, Windows XP

Posted on Jun 18, 2015 3:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2015 3:51 AM

14 replies

Jun 18, 2015 3:58 AM in response to theorganiste

It'll work fine with 12GB. Make sure you buy from a supplier that gives you a lifetime warranty and explicitly says that the memory they have supplied is suitable for your EXACT model of Mac. Two companies that provide this level of assurance are OWC and Crucial.

You would only be asking this question because you are reluctant to waste money. So, I'll risk some unsolicited advice, which is that If you are upgrading to improve performance, review a few of the threads with titles like 'Mac running slow' on these forums first. Unless you are doing something genuinely memory intensive, like video production or running virtual machines, poor performance is not usually lack of RAM. Use Activity Monitor to keep an eye on 'memory pressure'. More memory will only help if this is out of the green for significant periods.

C.

Jun 18, 2015 4:09 AM in response to theorganiste

Notes:

1. Although the iMac (Late 2006) computers will accept up to a 2 GB SO-DIMM in each of the two memory slots, the iMac will only support 3 GB total memory.
  2. The iMac (Late 2009), iMac (Mid 2010) and iMac (Mid 2011) have four SDRAM slots, each of which can accept a 2 GB or 4 GB SO-DIMM.
  3. iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012 and later) computers have no user installable SDRAM slots.
  4. iMac (27-inch, Late 2012 and later) computers have four SDRAM slots, each of which can accept a 4 GB, or 8 GB SO-DIMM.

Jun 18, 2015 5:12 AM in response to ckuan

So let's be clear. You are saying that not only is Crucial selling an upgrade to this machine that won't work:

User uploaded file

But also Apple's own instructions:

iMac: How to remove or install memory - Apple Support

are wrong.. Seems a bit of a stretch, but perhaps you actually own the model in question and have actually tested a 3 * 4 GB and found it doesn't work and are reporting your personal experience.

Taking account of that possibility, my recommendation is still that the OP buys a single 4GB upgrade in the first instance, and if it doesn't work they can return it under warranty or buy a second 4GB stick to make up a pair. I hope that they will report back what actually happens.

C.

can I upgrade memory from 8gb to 12gb?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.