Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installation of Final Cut 6 in Mavericks

Is there any way to move an installation of Final Cut 6 from one Mavericks partition to another? I have the installation disk but it doesn't work in Mavericks, even though Final Cut 6 does. I'm doing all my new work in FCPX but I need to keep a copy of Final Cut 6 available so that I can migrate old projects from Final Cut 6 to Final Cut Pro X.

User uploaded file

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jun 18, 2015 10:32 AM

6 replies

Jun 18, 2015 10:40 AM in response to John Link

First off...you can't use FCP 6 to migrate projects to FCX....you need FCP 7. The only app that does this migration is 7toX, and it requires FCP 7.

Second, you can't migrate the app, because there are many many bits of it scattered throughout the OS...it's not just the app in the APPLICATIONS FOLDER. And Migration Assistant doesn't grab all the bits. AND, as you've discovered, the installer is PowerPC based, and previous OS versions had something called Rosetta that allowed those installers to work. Mavericks doesn't have that.

There are hacks, but there really is no point, as you can't go from FCP 6 to FCX...you need FCP 7.

Sorry

Jun 18, 2015 1:40 PM in response to John Link

Not sure if it will still work, but you can do an install of Rosetta which is an optional install on the snowleopard install disk to be able to run the fcp6 installer.

There's someone who posts here who claims that installing Rosetta in later OS's will destroy your system. I've done a few of these for clients without any issues. But to safe, make sure you have a current bootable clone of your startup drive so you can restore your system if it goes south.

Jun 20, 2015 4:45 PM in response to John Link

John Link wrote:

Is there any way to move an installation of Final Cut 6 from one Mavericks partition to another?

Here is a recent post I assembled that discusses 3 safe installation methods for FCS2 (Final Cut Pro 6) in Mavericks and Yosemite:

Apple has created a "bug" in the attempt to install FCP6 in Lion, Mt. Lion and Mavericks, which makes it look like Rosetta is needed for a PowerPC app, the installer, so as to make it difficult for the use of FCP6 in these versions of OS X! There are three ways to install it:

1. Pacifist https://www.charlessoft.com/

2. Jeremy Johnstone's Terminal method http://www.jeremyjohnstone.com/blog/2012-03-11-installing-final-cut-pro-studio-2 -0-on-mac-os-x-10-7-lion.html

3. HawaiianHippie has discovered the best and safest possible solution to this problem:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5591321?answerId=26309669022#26309669022&ac_cid=tw123456#26309669

I have now successfully done this on four computers, brand new iMacs running 10.9.4. And I've discovered an even easier way to do this! You don't need to edit the plist file, just move it into the Trash. Install proceeds normally. You can return it after you're done if you like, I don't know what (if any) possible repercussions might come from leaving it deleted.

The file, as indicated on Jeremy Johnstone's blog, is

/System/Library/CoreServices/Installer.app/Contents/Resources/PPCRequirements.pl ist

(Note that when you get to Installer.app, you will have to Control+click and select "Show Package Contents")

I have not, as yet, attempted to recreate his success.

Jun 21, 2015 11:03 AM in response to John Link

And I've discovered an even easier way to do this! You don't need to edit the plist file, just move it into the Trash. Install proceeds normally. You can return it after you're done if you like, I don't know what (if any) possible repercussions might come from leaving it deleted.

The file, as indicated on Jeremy Johnstone's blog, is

/System/Library/CoreServices/Installer.app/Contents/Resources/PPCRequirements.pl ist

(Note that when you get to Installer.app, you will have to Control+click and select "Show Package Contents")

Apparently he has successfully installed FCS 2 (FCP 6) on four brand new Macs with OS X Mavericks.

Installation of Final Cut 6 in Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.