Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to add a Jabber buddy

I'm trying to add a new buddy to my list but the authorization is never received. Both accounts are Jabber accounts. I've tried sending authorizations from both accounts to the other and they're never received on either side. Both accounts are able to successfully chat with other accounts already in their respective buddy lists. One account is using the talk.google.com server and the other is using the jabber.org server in their respective settings. Neither is using SSL.

Posted on Jun 18, 2015 10:24 AM

7 replies

Jun 18, 2015 1:31 PM in response to irieheart

Hi,

I have never been able to log my Google account without using SSL.

In fact I have had to go to Google and enable "Less Secure apps" in the security settings.

I have not added a Jabber buddy for a while but iChat never did things the same way as other jabber apps.

In other apps the Request for Authorisation is sent again and again until the person either accepts or rejects.

iChat used to send it once and if the other Mac was not ON-line to see it and accept it the person stayed and Not Authorised forever.

If it is Google IDs I would also double check the name.

The Mail App allows you to use either username@googlemail.com or username @gmail.com

When adding your own account this can be important as the Google Talk server will only allow the correct name.

Login to the Google web pages and see what name it says top right.

Obivously if a "Buddy" has emailed you their info the ID in the email address as sender may be "wrong" as it can be allowed and also written incorrectly as it were in the text of the email.

I take it you are using AIM or Yahoo to talk in "other accounts" ?

User uploaded file

9:31 p.m. Thursday; June 18, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Jun 18, 2015 1:59 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Both computers are active and "online". The email addresses are correct. I'm trying to chat with another person in my house, who is in the next room and all info we've entered is correct. One ID is a @jabber.org account and the other is a Gmail account, but it's using a different domain than @gmail.com, since it belongs to the company I work for and uses that domain name. I can communicate fine with other co-workers who share the same @accella.net domain name as my ID but this is the first time I've tried to connect with someone using an ID with a different domain (@jabber.org). I'm using Jabber to talk to the other accounts who are my co-workers, as I explained.

Jun 18, 2015 2:02 PM in response to irieheart

Hi,

I would try deleting the Buddies then on both computers and try sending the Authorisation Requests again.

If that does not work then try send the request from the Google Mail Page with the Chat option enabled.

User uploaded file

10:02 p.m. Thursday; June 18, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Unable to add a Jabber buddy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.