Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voice dictation Problems in iOs 8

Hello, since iOs 8, has anybody else, who frequently uses voice dictation to transcribe in the Notes app, noticed the following two bugs: (1) no longer a 'stop speaking now/for-a-moment' tone and (2) it will arbitrarily stop transcription approx halfway through the dictation?

There used to be a tone that sounded when iOs would stop taking new words in that particular dictation session and you would then wait for the transcription to complete - that is no longer the case. It is very confusing and not at all helpful. I've also noticed, that without an audible demarcation I will continue speaking and the transcription will just hang, leaving off well in the middle of the dictation session. In other words, I used to speak, hear the tone, stop speaking, wait for transcription to complete and for the blinking cursor to reappear, begin speaking again, and so on. I used the tone as an indicator that I should stop speaking for a moment. Without the indicator tone, I can only guess when I must stop and since I rarely guess correctly, I end up having more than 50% of my spoken word dictations wasted and the free flow of my train of thought unproductively interrupted.

Thanks for reading,

Please advise.

Regards.

iPad Air, iOS 8.3, null

Posted on Jun 18, 2015 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 11:25 AM

I also have been very frustrated with this same problem but did not connect it with the installstion of IOS 8. Essentially the dictation feature on my ipad is totally useless since when I dictate it only transcribes a few words and gives no indication it is no longer working. if I glance down to see progress of message I am dictating I see the little wheel spinning in middle of screen but no more text is ever added and I have to hit the backspace key to stop wheel from spinning before I can type. Dictation is one of the major reasons I purchased an Apple ipad and I feel that this problem should immediately be addressed by Apple.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2015 11:25 AM in response to Bhavana01123

I also have been very frustrated with this same problem but did not connect it with the installstion of IOS 8. Essentially the dictation feature on my ipad is totally useless since when I dictate it only transcribes a few words and gives no indication it is no longer working. if I glance down to see progress of message I am dictating I see the little wheel spinning in middle of screen but no more text is ever added and I have to hit the backspace key to stop wheel from spinning before I can type. Dictation is one of the major reasons I purchased an Apple ipad and I feel that this problem should immediately be addressed by Apple.

Jul 4, 2015 9:35 AM in response to Mary0020

Good morning and Happy 4th 😉

This forum board doesn't really allow me to just 'like' your comment, it forces me to indicate that it 'solved' my question - which clearly, it didn't as it merely echos my own issue with Siri - although, please know, I think you terrifically explained, exactly, the problem and the importance of this feature 😉

If you hear of ANY updates or patches, etc, please advise.

Again, Happy 4th!

Voice dictation Problems in iOs 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.