Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to update Aperture 3.2.4 in Yosemite OS X

Hi,

Before, I'm using Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and my Aperture version 3.2.4 works smoothly. I decided to upgrade to OS X Yosemite so that I can download "Camera RAW update" which can read RAW format files in the Aperture. I didn't know, I have to upgrade my Aperture too. Now, I cannot open my Aperture and here is the message when I tried to open:

"In order to open Aperture, you need to update to the latest version. The version of Aperture installed on this Mac is not compatible with OS X Yosemite. Download the latest version for FREE from the Mac App Store."

I don't see any Aperture updates in my Apps store since I bought my MBPro with pre-installed Aperture coming from the dealer. I've tried to trash the Aperture apps but still I don't get any updates in the App store using my own Apple account.

My questions are:

1. What is the best thing to do in order to revive my Aperture? Do I need to go back to Snow Leopard and upgrade to Maverick/Lion so that I can update Aperture to 3.5 before going to Yosemite and then update to Aperture 3.6?

2. I have tons of pictures/projects there, how can I retrieve them? Can Photo apps sync in my old Aperture library?

3. Can I purchase/download the latest Aperture and will it still sync in my old Aperture library? If I download Aperture 3.5.1, do I need to remove my old Aperture 3.2.4? Will Aperture 3.5.1 sync to my old Aperture library?

Many thanks for your assistance and allowing your precious time!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 18, 2015 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2015 11:08 AM

3. Can I purchase/download the latest Aperture and will it still sync in my old Aperture library? If I download Aperture 3.5.1, do I need to remove my old Aperture 3.2.4? Will Aperture 3.5.1 sync to my old Aperture library?

That is no longer possible. Apple stopped selling Aperture, so you can only update Aperture versions that are associated with your AppleID at the AppStore, either because you purchased Aperture from the App Store or updated to an AppStore only version.

You need to update to Aperture 3.6, and that will require the Help of the App Store Support, if your Aperture 3 version has not been purchased from the App Store and is showing on the Purchases tab of the AppStore. Contact the App Store Support for Help and ask for a redeem code to download Aperture 3.6.

There is a "Support" link on the main page of the App Store in the "Quick Links" section. You will have to provide a Proof of Purchase.

2. I have tons of pictures/projects there, how can I retrieve them? Can Photo apps sync in my old Aperture library?

The Photos.app will be able to upgrade your Aperture Library to a Photos library, if all fails. But it would be preferable, if you could update your Aperture version to Aperture 3.6, so you still can use Aperture for advanced edits that are not available in Photos.

You may want to have a look at these User Tips:

Notes on Migrating an Aperture Library from Aperture to Photos for Mac

Updating to Aperture 3.6 After the Release of Photos

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2015 11:08 AM in response to rydots

That is no longer possible. Apple stopped selling Aperture, so you can only update Aperture versions that are associated with your AppleID at the AppStore, either because you purchased Aperture from the App Store or updated to an AppStore only version.

You need to update to Aperture 3.6, and that will require the Help of the App Store Support, if your Aperture 3 version has not been purchased from the App Store and is showing on the Purchases tab of the AppStore. Contact the App Store Support for Help and ask for a redeem code to download Aperture 3.6.

There is a "Support" link on the main page of the App Store in the "Quick Links" section. You will have to provide a Proof of Purchase.

The Photos.app will be able to upgrade your Aperture Library to a Photos library, if all fails. But it would be preferable, if you could update your Aperture version to Aperture 3.6, so you still can use Aperture for advanced edits that are not available in Photos.

You may want to have a look at these User Tips:

Notes on Migrating an Aperture Library from Aperture to Photos for Mac

Updating to Aperture 3.6 After the Release of Photos

Jun 18, 2015 12:41 PM in response to léonie

Thanks Leonie,

I've just contacted the Customer support and they are very helpful in assisting me on this. They will e-mail me the next step to redeem the code. Since my Aperture is pre-installed from my dealer (I'm not sure if they are authorized or not) when I purchased my MBPro way back 2011, the customer can still trace it even if I don't have the proof of purchase (receipt or serial no. in box). Here is how they do it:

1. Close all windows

2. Go to Apple icon

3. Click About this Mac

4. System Report

5. Software

6. Applications

7. Aperture

8. Tell the Customer Support the version and the "Obtained from"

The "Obtained from" is the most important info and this should be obtained from APPLE.

And that's it, I have just to wait the e-mail to redeem the code and follow the next steps. I'll update on this trend if I get my Aperture back from hiatus.

Sep 23, 2015 11:01 PM in response to léonie

Leonie, I have installed Aperture 2 and then Aperture 3 upgrade from discs. Now on Mavericks I've been able to update Aperture to 3.4.5. But, we want to start using Yosemite and will need to be on Aperture 3.6. There is no update path through app store updates for us. The app store does not even show anything about Aperture on my machine. Should I contact the App store support like you have advised above? If not, then is there a different avenue of support for our situation?

Thank You for your help and knowledge.

Macbook Pro 15 inch mid 2010. OSX 10.9.5

Sep 23, 2015 11:34 PM in response to upshot

Now on Mavericks I've been able to update Aperture to 3.4.5.

3.4.5 is the first "Mac App Store" only version. Don't you see Aperture, when you search the Purchases history at the App Store, the fourth tab? This update should have added Aperture to your AppleID at the App Store. It will only show in the Purchases, if at all. But never on the Updates tab any longer.

If you do not see Aperture, when you sign into the App Store with with the AppleID you used, when you last updated Aperture (in the Store menu), then you need to contact Apple support. In some cases they provided a redeem code to be able to download Aperture 3.6. You will first have to update to MacOS X 10.10.3 or later, before you can update to Aperture 3.6, because it will only run on Yosemite.

How to update Aperture 3.2.4 in Yosemite OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.