Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX 10.4.11 vs. Chrome or Firefox

As a subscriber to Artists Network, a part of F+W Publishing (Watercolor Artist magazine and on-line), I was just notified that I have to update my browser to the latest OS X, namely Yosemite. I have two G4 laptops and a G4 iMac snowball, all with PPS processors, so Yosemite is not possible. I haven't tried it yet, but are the latest versions of Chrome or Firefox compatible with a G4 Mac? I use Firefox on an old PC running Win XP and it does ok; has anyone tried Firefox on an older MAC? Thanks for responses! bob.c

P.S.: using Firefox might cure the G4's issues with Ancestry.com website. Looking at detail pages results in a blank black page.

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jun 18, 2015 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2015 12:44 PM

Hi Bob,

Chrome will not work on PPC Macs nor 10.4.11

TenFourFox is the most up to date browser for our PPCs, they even have G4 & G5 optimized versions...

http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

3 replies

Jun 20, 2015 10:35 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BD: thanks for your help in getting my iBook up and running. It is the laptop I am going to try Firefox on, and I had to get back on the Airport Extreme, which meant getting OSX 10.4.11 back on it, which required clearing out the partitions and dealing with an OSX disk that did not want to work, but also meant that I had to repair the plug on the power cord. The last is a problem because the outer shield on the old cable does not want to take solder! So I am ordering a new power block from one of the Mac vendors. Then I will try firefox and get back to you. thanks again...bob.c

OSX 10.4.11 vs. Chrome or Firefox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.