Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect imac 2007 mini-display port (aka mini-dvi port?) to HDMI port on TV?

I realize there is a lot of info on this question on the web, but it's pretty confusing.

Exactly what adaptors do I need, and are they available from Apple?

I'm assuming that any HDMI cable will work.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Also, if you have any tips or links on how to play the movie once the hook up has been made, much appreciated.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), [Mid 2007] 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Jun 18, 2015 2:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2015 2:43 PM

Mini DVI and Mini Display Port are 2 different connections all together. The require different Adaptors, and work slightly differently:

(MacBook Pro Pictured for Display port, iMac pictured for Mini DVI)

User uploaded file

A Mid 2007 iMac has a Mini DVI port but not a Mini Display Port.

To connect the iMac to a TV through HDMiI you would need a Mini-DVI to HDMI adapter:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer+Technology/CBLMDVIHDMI/

Once that is done, your iMac will extend its display to the TV.

You can set the Display to be mirrored so both the iMac screen an d Tv show the same thing, or set it to Extended so that you have a larger desktop.

To play a movie, it would depend on where th movie is. Technically all you would need to do i open the movie from wherever it is, and it will start to play. If the display is extended you may need to drag the window over to the TV. Otherwise it will appear on both screens.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2015 2:43 PM in response to Arandel

Mini DVI and Mini Display Port are 2 different connections all together. The require different Adaptors, and work slightly differently:

(MacBook Pro Pictured for Display port, iMac pictured for Mini DVI)

User uploaded file

A Mid 2007 iMac has a Mini DVI port but not a Mini Display Port.

To connect the iMac to a TV through HDMiI you would need a Mini-DVI to HDMI adapter:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer+Technology/CBLMDVIHDMI/

Once that is done, your iMac will extend its display to the TV.

You can set the Display to be mirrored so both the iMac screen an d Tv show the same thing, or set it to Extended so that you have a larger desktop.

To play a movie, it would depend on where th movie is. Technically all you would need to do i open the movie from wherever it is, and it will start to play. If the display is extended you may need to drag the window over to the TV. Otherwise it will appear on both screens.

How to connect imac 2007 mini-display port (aka mini-dvi port?) to HDMI port on TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.