Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

help with interlacing problem

this clip is from a transfer from 1" to prores 422 hq 1920x1080 @ 29.97. looks like some sort of an interlacing problem that is evident on the moves. wasn't like that on the original. is there a way to fix it or do i have to have it re-transferred. if re-transferred what do i ask to have done differently. thanks. User uploaded file

doesn't look like it's shown up well in this still but there is significant "tearing" of the video during any move.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), final cut pro 7.03 w/aja kona3

Posted on Jun 18, 2015 1:55 PM

8 replies

Jun 18, 2015 2:53 PM in response to methenyhead

I assure you this is on the source. Computer displays don't show interlacing properly, as they can't do interlacing. So you see both fields mixed and it looks odd. However, if you output this image, via a Video IO device like AJA, Blackmagic Design or Matrox makes...out to a TV...you won't see it. Because TVs are designed to display interlacing. They are actually the reason interlacing even exists.

Jun 18, 2015 6:07 PM in response to methenyhead

How so?

Have you ingested the footage into FCP, loaded it in the Viewer and are playing it there?

If so, click on the source clip in the FCP browser to select it, then type Command + 9 to see the item properties for the clip.

Either report those properties here or take a screen shot of the item properties, and post that here.

if you have edited the clip to a sequence timeline, then also - click anywhere on the timeline and then type Command + 0 {zero} to see your sequence settings. Either report those sequence settings as well or take a screen shot and also post that screen shot here.

MtD

Jun 18, 2015 9:21 PM in response to methenyhead

Your source file properties and sequence settings all look good.

Do you have control over the Kona Card? Make sure the Kona card is set for Upper (Odd) Field dominance as well.

Also, as an experiment, AS A TEST ONLY, change the sequence setting Field Dominance to Lower (you may have to render to see playback) and see if that effects how the video is displayed via your Kona Card.

MtD

Jun 29, 2015 8:51 AM in response to Shane Ross

shane, back on this project ... am thinking i need to get a re-transfer done. if i do get it re-transferred from the original 1", what would give the optimum performance. this transfer was done at 1920x1080i apple prores 422 hq. given the original footage was 720x486, wouldn't it make more sense to do that. the 1920x1080 has sidebars though i could be editing that footage with some recently shot 1920x1080 footage but that's not clear yet. final distribution will be dvd and digital download. below is a screenshot of one of the worst scenes on my sony broadcast monitor played through my kona 3 card.

User uploaded file

help with interlacing problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.