Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2008 MacBook Pro won't boot beyond Apple

SSo I have a 2008 MacBook Pro (a1261) and I recently upgraded my ram to 6bg and my hard drive to 1tb soil state. All has been great for about 4 months no problems then suddenly one day it crashed (for only the second time since I've owned it) due to what I assumes was over heating (I saw my thermometer say 84 degrees c before it went black) and now it wont start up, it turns on I get the tone and the grey screen and we get to the apple, it loads about 30% then shuts back down. It wont start up in safe mode or in diagnostics mode and I have no idea where my so disk is -_-' . I'm out of ideas as to what the problem could be, do you think I fried the motherboard? also the original Hardrive was wiped so putting that back in is pretty ,ugh a no go, and same with the ram I misplaced one of the chips. i seriously hope the upgrade isn't the problem esp, since it was working great for months

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 18, 2015 5:35 PM

3 replies

Jul 30, 2015 6:36 PM in response to RenRen715

You need the machine specific system discs which has the troubleshooting tools on there that you need. See if you can get your money back for the install disc.

Replacement System Discs can be obtained from Apple's Customer Support - US (800) 767-2775 for a nominal fee. You'll need to have the model and serial number of your Mac available.

If you're not in the US, you may need to go through the regional Apple Store that serves your location to find the contact number - http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/intlstoreroutingpage.html

User uploaded file

2008 MacBook Pro won't boot beyond Apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.