Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio Issues With Fusion Drive + Yosemite

Hello,

I recently purchased a:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)

Processor: 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3

3TB Drive (+ 128 GB Flash) Fusion Drive

Yosemite 10.10.3.

along with a Scarlett Studio 2i2 audio interface. I thought it was the interface for the first couple of weeks while troubleshooting, but the issues were isolated to this computer, and had no effect on my 2009 MacBook Pro laptop.

The issue:

When the interface (with USB 2.0 connector) is plugged into the computer (all USB ports seem to be USB 3.0) the computer will randomly, but surely, cause the interface to lose power. It will flash it's lights mockingly while the speakers pop and crackle. The device will then revert back to it's original state, but the computer will no longer register the device as connected. If I'm using Logic Pro X, the I/O's change back to internal, and do not register the 2i2 interface until it is unplugged, and reconnected.
The problem occurs:

Whether it be Logic Pro X, iTunes, Safari, Quicktime, or even nothing at all, the computer will eventually cause the interface to fail.

I have read about the potential to split the fusion drive, isolating the flash storage so that it is not being utilized, and interfering with the interface. I'm not sure how to do that, and wonder: Will it work? How do I do it? Is it reversible?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I saved up for quite some time to get a computer like this. I bought it specifically for making music... The irony is, well, immense.

Thanks again!

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 3TB Fusion Drive With 128GB Flash

Posted on Jun 18, 2015 6:24 PM

2 replies

Jul 19, 2015 7:42 AM in response to IAREUSERNAME

This has nothing to do with the fusion drive. The 2i2 interface is USB powered, and it sounds like the iMac is not powering it sufficiently, or there's a bad pin in the iMac's USB port. It is a power/connectivity issue with the physical connection, nothing to do with the fusion drive. Personally, I'd contact Focusrite or the reseller you purchased it from, for tech support. This is definitely hardware related.

Sep 9, 2016 3:11 PM in response to IAREUSERNAME

I'm having this problem too, with a Scarlett 2i4. Seems like as long as I'm playing audio everything is fine. If I let the computer go to sleep I'll loose the connection. Moreover the computer will make loud popping sound through the external speakers I have connected to the Scarlett. I'm used to those sounds while the computer is starting up, if my audio equipment is on. But I shouldn't be hearing them during the sleep cycle. I imagine it's the sound of the connection going on and off. I agree with BenB that this is a power / connectivity issue, but I disagree that it has anything to do with the USB port itself - it doesn't matter which port I connect to, I still get the problem. Also other USB devices seem to work fine.

Audio Issues With Fusion Drive + Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.