Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back Up Problem in iTunes

I updated to iTunes 12.1.2.27 and ios 8.3 on my iPad 3 today. Now I am getting an error message when I try to back up my iPad advising that there is insufficient space available on my computer.

I currently have over 60GB of memory left on my hard drive which I thought would be more than adequate to back up a 16GB iPad?

Hope someone can help with a solution?

Best Regards

Barry

iPad 2, Windows 7

Posted on Jun 18, 2015 8:17 PM

12 replies

Jun 21, 2015 4:39 AM in response to BarryfromAccy

I believe there is an obscure file system bug in Windows that can occur with certain calls to check on free space where only the low order bits of the value are returned. Imagine if the free space was 1,000,001 bytes but the routine requesting the information gets back the value 000,001. If that is what is going on then finding some large file and making a few redundant copies of it may be sufficient to work around the problem.

tt2

Jun 23, 2015 5:24 PM in response to BarryfromAccy

A movie file, for example, or perhaps make a few copies C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb which comes in at 808Mb on my system , and is the largest single file I could find in my Windows folder. Place the copies in the same folder or at the root of the C: drive. Whatever you do take note so you can undo it later if it doesn't help, or becomes no longer necessary. I can't be certain it will help, but it can't hurt to try.

tt2

Jun 28, 2015 9:17 AM in response to BarryfromAccy

Perhaps a clean reinstall of iTunes would help:

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for performance issues or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there are also links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

Alternatively you could try moving the existing backup folder out of the way which should force iTunes to create a new backup rather than try to update an existing one. Find and manage your iTunes backups - Apple Support

tt2

Jul 2, 2015 6:02 PM in response to BarryfromAccy

BarryfromAccy wrote:

Hi HappyFunJay

Sorry but I am no expert and unable to offer you further any advice other than that already provided by turingtest2.

I have recently successfully backed up my iPad several times without disabling my antivirus software and my problem seems to be resolved.

Best Regards

Barry

Hi Barry,

Glad you got it working. I wish I could be in your shoes. XD

Back Up Problem in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.