Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I change the backup email to my security questions?

I've been having problems lately with my Apple ID, and I think if I figure out how to do this, it will be the answer to all of my problems. So back in 2013 I received an iPad mini for Christmas which had been my first Apple product, so I had to create an Apple ID. I made the Apple ID and everything worked fine, I'd just put in an alternate email for security questions that hides the characters so I have no idea what this email could be because I don't have it anymore. I got an iPhone 5S a year later in 2014 for Christmas, and I used the same Apple ID. I tried purchasing songs on the phone but iTunes had asked for verification through my security questions that I don't remember. I tried using the alternate email to get the answers but I didn't & don't have access, or even remember the alternate email. It was one I never used but probably made purposely for the Apple ID. So I had to continue purchasing everything through my iPad, and couldn't buy anything through my phone, (it's still that way.) The iPad mini cracked so bad that it started controlling itself, which made it almost impossible to use. It had & still has (because I still have it) a mind of its own, and does crazy things like types letters, opens apps, moves stuff around, etc. all by itself. I stopped using it and just bought a new iPad mini because around here it costed the same amount to get it fixed as it did for a new one I saw at Staples, so I just bought a new one because the other one is literally impossible to use. I still have all of these products, but I can't purchase anything off either of the new ones because it *** for verification that I can't provide because I don't know the answers to my security questions, or the email to get the answers. If anyone knows ANYTHING that relates to this or could help, or what you think I should do, please help. I've thought about just making a new Apple ID but I'm afraid I will lose all of the things I've already purchased. Thank you so, very much.

-Aria R.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3, null

Posted on Jun 18, 2015 11:47 PM

3 replies

Jun 18, 2015 11:54 PM in response to ariacellurale

You need to contact Apple Support to have your Security Questions reset:

ACCOUNT SECURITY CONTACT

Once you are able to get them reset so you can access your Apple ID: Apple - My Apple ID, you can then go in and change your Rescue email address:

Manage Primary, Rescue, Alternate, and Notification email addresses

Or, you can set up Two Step Verification (especially since you have more than one Apple device, this method is easy), and you will never have to worry about Security Questions or Rescue email addresses again:

TWO STEP VERIFICATION

Best of luck,

GB

Jun 18, 2015 11:54 PM in response to ariacellurale

You won't be able to view and/or change your rescue email address (an alternate email address is different) until you can answer your questions - you will have to contact Support in your country to get the questions reset.

Contacting Apple about account security : Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security

If your country isn't on that page then try this form to contact Support : https://www.apple.com/emea/support/itunes/contact.html

When they've been reset you can then view and/or change your rescue email address for potential future use : Manage your Apple ID primary, rescue, alternate, and notification email addresses

Or if it's available in your country you could change to 2-step verification : Frequently asked questions about two-step verification for Apple ID

How can I change the backup email to my security questions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.