Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I repair my photos library?

Photos let's me choose my library but doesn't open it. I did the migration from iPhotos for quite some time. This is a new issue happening months later. The [CMD]+[ALT] during opening doesn't seem to work neither. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Jun 19, 2015 12:07 AM

8 replies

Jun 19, 2015 2:22 AM in response to iMac-new

I've got a similar problem, maybe the same. I can't open the migrated foto library from a second user - which i have on my family iMac. I can only open the migrated foto-library with the root-user/master-user. Can anybody explain, what's wrong? Where is the mistake?

A second user can only open a photo library, if it is on an external drive with the "Ignore Ownership on this volume" flag set. Otherwise you will have permission problems. See this document on how to prepare a drive - it is the same in Photos: iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

Jun 19, 2015 7:18 AM in response to léonie

Thank's. But the problem is, that with iFoto it was still possible, that a second USER (my daughter) could import new pictures into the one and only one Fotolibrary. It was stored and still is stored with the Path "/Benutzer/Für alle Benutzer" and than the name of the library "familienmediathek". When i started with iFoto the rights were given to read and write for my daughter - and it was still running - until i changed to the new App Foto.

Jun 19, 2015 8:06 AM in response to iMac-new

Thank's. But the problem is, that with iFoto it was still possible, that a second USER (my daughter) could import new pictures into the one and only one Fotolibrary.

Then your iPhoto version must have been an older version. In the later versions of iPhoto it did not work any longer share a Mediathek in the folder "Für all Benutzer". IPhoto '11 also required the library (Mediathek) to be on an external drive, as described in the document I linked to.

Here is the German version of the same document: https://support.apple.com/de-de/HT201517

You need to put the library onto an external drive. From this document:

Wichtig: Wenn mehrere Benutzer dieselbe iPhoto-Mediathek gleichzeitig zu verwenden versuchen und sich diese nicht auf einem Volume befindet, auf dem die Zugriffsrechte ignoriert werden, können unerwünschte Ergebnisse auftreten. Dazu gehört auch, dass bestimmte Fotos nicht angezeigt oder bearbeitet werden können und dass die iPhoto-Mediathek nicht geöffnet werden kann. Gehen Sie wie folgt vor, um sicherzustellen, dass jeder Benutzer über Lese-/Schreibrechte für die iPhoto-Mediathek verfügt.

It is the same problem for all of Apple's photo applications - iPhoto '11, Aperture, Photos.

Jun 22, 2015 10:03 AM in response to KlausK

From that screenshot it follows that Photos is opening a new, empty Photos library.

local hard disc folder within my pictures folder. And this is how it looks. Does this help you to help me? Thanks!

Check, if you have a second Photos Library somewhere.

Hold down the alt/options key while launching Photos. This should show the library chooser panel.

Did you have an external drive connected, when you last opened Photos successfully? Perhaps your library has been created on an external drive.

How do I repair my photos library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.