Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i really need garageband to work!

should i store my photos and iTunes elsewhere? should i delete games? i keep getting 'content not played' even on the simplest, most stripped down projects. i already store movies and notation files elsewhere.

GarageBand (Mac) '11, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jun 19, 2015 9:38 AM

4 replies

Jun 27, 2015 10:13 AM in response to shartelavenue

You need plenty of free storage on your system drive, even if your GarageBand projects are on an external. Don't let the free storage on the system drive drop below 20GB.

How is your external drive with the GarageBand projects connected? Is it locally mounted or are you using a NAS? You need the fastest connect you can get - USB 3 or Thunderbolt would be perfect, depending on the ports our mac has. Mont the external drive directly, not daisy chained.

Have you checked, if all your software is compatible? Are you using any audio interface drivers that might need updating for compatibility with OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)? As a test you could open the Console.app (From Applications > Utilites) and check if there are any diagnostic messages relating to GarageBand when you try to play your projects. Perhaps that will give us a hint what might be problematic.

i really need garageband to work!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.