Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading from OS 10.6.7 to 10.6.8 in order to upgrade to OS X Yosemite

Hi Apple Community!

I realized that I am not currently running the latest OS on my Macbook Pro. I'm currently on OS 10.6.7 and according to this page (http://www.apple.com/support/osx/upgrade/), I need to first upgrade to OS 10.6.8 before I can upgrade to OS X Yosemite.

I follow these steps below, however once I run "Software" update and restart my computer (I end up having to hold the power button to shut it down since the "restart" prompt doesn't reboot automatically), v10.6.7 has not been upgraded.

Any insights on how to troubleshoot?

Thanks!

If you are running Mac OS X 10.6.7 or earlier:

1. Find out if your Mac can run OS X Yosemite.
  2. Back up your Mac.
  3. Run Software Update to upgrade to the latest version of Snow Leopard (v10.6.8).
  4. Get OS X Yosemite from the Mac App Store.
  5. Double-click Install OS X Yosemite to begin installation.

MacBook Pro 13:, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Jun 19, 2015 11:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2015 11:20 AM

Click here and install it manually.

(128903)

6 replies

Jun 20, 2015 1:59 AM in response to cristobalwong

While I had the App Store app, I needed 10.6.8 to be able to download Yosemite. Now that I have Yosemite downloaded, I get the following message: "This disk doesn't use the GUID Partition table scheme. Use disk Utility to change the partition scheme. Select the disk, choose the Partition tab, select the Volume Scheme and then click options."

I'm having some troubles accessing the "partition" tab and also see online that switching the partition scheme will erase the HD. Is this a true statement? I have already backed up copy of the HD with Time Machine, but the thought still make me hesitate to update to Yosemite.

What are the benefits of running Yosemite and how come to this date hasn't my Macbook tried to update to it on its own already?

Jun 20, 2015 7:54 AM in response to cristobalwong

One option is to create a new partition (~30- 50 GB), install the new OS, and ‘test drive’ it. If you like/don’t like it it, you can then remove the partition. Do a backup before you do anything. By doing this, if you don’t like it you won’t have to go though the revert process.

Check to make sure your applications are compatible.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

Open Disk Utility, select your hard drive (step 1), then the Partition tab (step 2), and select the partition. Using the /// at the bottom move it up (step 3) until the size box decrease by about 50 GB. Select the newly created space and hit the + button (step 4). Name it something and select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the format (step 5). Then hit the Apply button(step 6). Download the installer from the App Store and when it starts, point it at the new partition. You might want to make a copy of the installer outside the Applications folder to avoid having to re-download it in the future. Once installed, go to System Preferences/Startup Disk, select the new partition and reboot. Test away.

Upgrading from OS 10.6.7 to 10.6.8 in order to upgrade to OS X Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.